Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Application makes VBE crash. How do I troubleshoot?

I have submitted an application to a client. It ran without a hitch on my
system, but alternately makes Excel and the VBE crash on the user's system.

The problem is associated with the Web Browser control, which I am using. I
created a crippled version of the app where the Web Browser had been removed
and all Web Browser references removed from the code. This runs without a
problem.

The "full version will load as an Excel file, but Excel crashes the moment
the user attempts to run any code. My guess is that I need to add a reference
to the Web Browser control in order for the code to compile, but when I had
the user reboot, load the file, and activate the VBE, the VBE immediately
crashed.

I had the user open the crippled version of the file, go to
VBE/Tools/References and add a reference to shdocvw.dll, which is the Web
Browser. Then we tried reloading the full version again, but nothing had
changed. Excel crashed when we tried to run the code.

I am doing this remotely, which doesn't make it easier.

I am using Excel 2002 SP 3. The user has tried, with identical results, in
Excel 2002 with no SP's, and in Excel 2003.

Am I barking up the wrong tree -- does this sound like something other than
a missing reference? Has anyone have the VBE crash like this? How do I
troubleshoot from here? Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you have another computer you could try it on? Does the client? It sounds
like something in your system installation is at odds with your client's.

FWIW, this is one of the most frustrating parts of the job. It works just
fine on your own computer, and hangs on the client's. It is extremely hard
to debug, particularly when you are not at the client's office. I've
invested a small monthly amount in GoToMeeting, which allows sharing of
desktops across the Internet. Whenever I use it, it saves me at least a
couple hours for every fifteen minutes we're connected. It's not fair to
expect the client to notice every detail or to capture every message
accurately, but with the remote meeting capability, you get the information
quickly, using your own eyesight, and you can even make some limited
corrections within the session. There are many of these packages available,
I just liked GoToMeeting better than the rest.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Bdra" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am using Excel 2002 SP 3.
The user has tried, with identical results, in
Excel 2002 with no SP's, and in Excel 2003.

Has Client tried XL2002 or 2003 *with* SPs???

Keep in mind that shdocvw.dll is considered part of Internet Explorer, so if
its a versioning issue, it could also be there...

I would get the client to visit MicrosoftUpdate (or Windows and Office
Update) get all WindowsOS, IExp and Office updates and *then* see if there
is a problem that needs to be addressed. If I read this right, you have no
way of knowing that Microsoft hasn't already addressed the issue (which is
why you are not seeing it on your machine).

--
HTH,
George

"Bdra" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jon,

I appreciate your comments about the frustration of having perfectly good
code (so you thought) fall apart on someone else's system. And thank you for
suggesting GoToMeeting. I have heard it recommended before; this is a good
occasion to try it out.

--Bo

"Bdra" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

George,

Thank you for the very helpful suggestion. I guess this is a case of
overlooking the obvious -- I will get the client to update, and see if that
takes care of it.

--Bo