Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Bdra Bdra is offline

Default Application makes VBE crash. How do I troubleshoot?

George,

Thank you for the very helpful suggestion. I guess this is a case of
overlooking the obvious -- I will get the client to update, and see if that
takes care of it.

--Bo

"George Nicholson" wrote:

I am using Excel 2002 SP 3.
The user has tried, with identical results, in
Excel 2002 with no SP's, and in Excel 2003.

Has Client tried XL2002 or 2003 *with* SPs???

Keep in mind that shdocvw.dll is considered part of Internet Explorer, so if
its a versioning issue, it could also be there...

I would get the client to visit MicrosoftUpdate (or Windows and Office
Update) get all WindowsOS, IExp and Office updates and *then* see if there
is a problem that needs to be addressed. If I read this right, you have no
way of knowing that Microsoft hasn't already addressed the issue (which is
why you are not seeing it on your machine).

--
HTH,
George

"Bdra" wrote in message
I have submitted an application to a client. It ran without a hitch on my
system, but alternately makes Excel and the VBE crash on the user's
system.

The problem is associated with the Web Browser control, which I am using.
created a crippled version of the app where the Web Browser had been
removed
and all Web Browser references removed from the code. This runs without a
problem.

The "full version will load as an Excel file, but Excel crashes the moment
the user attempts to run any code. My guess is that I need to add a
reference
to the Web Browser control in order for the code to compile, but when I
had
the user reboot, load the file, and activate the VBE, the VBE immediately
crashed.

I had the user open the crippled version of the file, go to
VBE/Tools/References and add a reference to shdocvw.dll, which is the Web
Browser. Then we tried reloading the full version again, but nothing had
changed. Excel crashed when we tried to run the code.

I am doing this remotely, which doesn't make it easier.

I am using Excel 2002 SP 3. The user has tried, with identical results, in
Excel 2002 with no SP's, and in Excel 2003.

Am I barking up the wrong tree -- does this sound like something other
than
a missing reference? Has anyone have the VBE crash like this? How do I
troubleshoot from here? Help!