Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Common Dialog Control Reference problem

I have a common dialog icon in components which I can click and draw on a
form but then get an "Unspecified error" in a message box with an
information icon on it. Also, when I point at the common dialog icon in the
Components box with the mouse pointer a tag pops up that says "Unknown."

I've removed and replaced this control icon several times in Components but
get the same result.

I've tried to find the corresponding COMMDLG.DLL in References but it is not
there. I've browsed and found one each in Windows System and Windows
System32 folders. MS knowledge base tells me the one in Systems is the one
I need. However, when I try to add it to the References I get a message box
that says "Can't add reference to the specified file." Just for the heck of
it I tried to add the one from System32 with the same result.

I'm using Windows XP Home and Excel 2000.

I recently reloaded Excel 2000 in an effort to fix the help file in the VB
editor and the common control worked fine before the reload. Incidentally,
the help file still doesn't work worth a flip.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.