Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Filter a protected shared worksheet

How can I filter a protected shared worksheet?
I have allowed filtering in protection & can filter the protected worksheet
manually but if I try using vba it says its protected. I can't unprotect then
filter because it's a shared workbook.

Command used to try to filter is:
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:="LK", VisibleDropDown:=False
--
Regards
Neill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi Neill,
Have you tried the "user interface only" approach of protecting sheets?
(I haven't tested this on a shared file)

'copy this into the "thisworkbook" code window
Option Explicit
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Dim ws As Worksheet
For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
ws.Protect UserInterfaceOnly:=True
Next ws
End Sub

To see the other arguments/parameters that can be set when protecting
sheets, select "protect" & press [F1] in the VB Editor. My understanding is
that the "user interface" option needs to be reset every time the file is
opened which is I've put it in the thisworkbook code section.

hth
Rob

Rob Brockett
NZ
Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

"Neill" wrote:

How can I filter a protected shared worksheet?
I have allowed filtering in protection & can filter the protected worksheet
manually but if I try using vba it says its protected. I can't unprotect then
filter because it's a shared workbook.

Command used to try to filter is:
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:="LK", VisibleDropDown:=False
--
Regards
Neill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just to add to the previous comment. You should be enabling autofilter
before protecting/sharing the sheet.

1. Enable autofilter by going to Data|Autofilter or
Selection.Autofilter in your code.
2. Protect the sheet and allow autofilter to be used:
ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True,
Scenarios:=True, AllowFiltering:=True

3. Share the workbook (can't recall how to do this in code, sorry)

HTH,
JP

On Nov 14, 6:25 am, Neill wrote:
How can I filter a protected shared worksheet?
I have allowed filtering in protection & can filter the protected worksheet
manually but if I try using vba it says its protected. I can't unprotect then
filter because it's a shared workbook.

Command used to try to filter is:
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:="LK", VisibleDropDown:=False
--
Regards
Neill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Spoke to soon

Yes I protected using ws.Protect UserInterfaceOnly:=True before I shared the
workbook & all worked fine, I shared it saved it & all ok. However after
closing & re-opening it stops working?
Regards
Neill

On Nov 14, 6:25 am, Neill wrote:
How can I filter a protected shared worksheet?
I have allowed filtering in protection & can filter the protected worksheet
manually but if I try using vba it says its protected. I can't unprotect then
filter because it's a shared workbook.

Command used to try to filter is:
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:="LK", VisibleDropDown:=False
--
Regards
Neill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The main problem with all this is you can't protect or unprotect a shared
workbook neither can you filter it using code even though you have allowed it
in filter settings & it filters manually but not with code.

On Nov 14, 6:25 am, Neill wrote:
How can I filter a protected shared worksheet?
I have allowed filtering in protection & can filter the protected worksheet
manually but if I try using vba it says its protected. I can't unprotect then
filter because it's a shared workbook.

Command used to try to filter is:
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:="LK", VisibleDropDown:=False
--
Regards
Neill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You just have to follow the steps in the correct order, refer to my
earlier post.

HTH,
JP

On Nov 14, 6:25 am, Neill wrote:
How can I filter a protected shared worksheet?
I have allowed filtering in protection & can filter the protected worksheet
manually but if I try using vba it says its protected. I can't unprotect then
filter because it's a shared workbook.

Command used to try to filter is:
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:="LK", VisibleDropDown:=False
--
Regards
Neill- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

But you can't change the protection status of any worksheet in a shared
workbook.

And since that userinterfaceonly setting is forgotten after you close the file,
the code needs to be rerun each time the workbook opens. And if the workbook is
shared, the code will fail.

On Nov 14, 6:25 am, Neill wrote:
How can I filter a protected shared worksheet?
I have allowed filtering in protection & can filter the protected worksheet
manually but if I try using vba it says its protected. I can't unprotect then
filter because it's a shared workbook.

Command used to try to filter is:
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:="LK", VisibleDropDown:=False
--
Regards
Neill- Hide quoted text -

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave can you explain further? I tested my method and it worked. As
long as you apply the autofilter first, then allow autofilter to be
used when protecting the workbook, it should allow you to use the
filter dropdowns after you share the workbook. Maybe it works because
I am doing it by hand instead of programmatically?

Thx,
JP

JP wrote:

You just have to follow the steps in the correct order, refer to my
earlier post.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am using 2003 just to confirm the 3 points
1. You can not protect or unprotect a shared workbook
2. I can filter manually but not with VBA using "Selection.AutoFilter
Field:=3, Criteria1:="LK", VisibleDropDown:=False"
3. ws.Protect UserInterfaceOnly:=True disappears after closing & can not be
reapplied as workbook is shared.
Regards
Neill

JP wrote:

You just have to follow the steps in the correct order, refer to my
earlier post.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do all your work (including sharing the workbook).
Save that workbook
Close that workbook
Reopen that workbook (it still should be shared)
Try filtering the data.

Does it work?

JP wrote:

You just have to follow the steps in the correct order, refer to my
earlier post.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry don't understand your reply.

Regards
Neill

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Yep. That was my point.

JP wrote:

You just have to follow the steps in the correct order, refer to my
earlier post.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry yes you were replying to somebody else's post, I did start this very
question saying I can do it manually but not programatically. Maybe I should
start a fresh post?

Regards
Neill

"Neill" wrote:

Sorry don't understand your reply.

Regards
Neill

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Yep. That was my point.

JP wrote:

You just have to follow the steps in the correct order, refer to my
earlier post.

--

Dave Peterson

--