Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jb jb is offline

Default dsum with IsNumber()

Hello,
I need to do a dsum with a criteria of Isnumber(Check Number Column). I do
not know how to put a criteria in where I can return values only for those
rows where there is a number in another column.

Paid Check #
$100 1234
$200 Bounce
$300 4567
$400
$500 7777

I need a dsum to come back with $900 which are the 3 numeric looking Check
#'s. I can't figure out how to put the criteria in.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

With the data in B5:C10...
=SUMIF(C6:C10,"0",B6:B10)
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"jb"
wrote in message
Hello,
I need to do a dsum with a criteria of Isnumber(Check Number Column). I do
not know how to put a criteria in where I can return values only for those
rows where there is a number in another column.
Paid Check #
$100 1234
$200 Bounce
$300 4567
$400
$500 7777
I need a dsum to come back with $900 which are the 3 numeric looking Check
#'s. I can't figure out how to put the criteria in.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

And just to add,

all the "d" functions require you to use a separte set of cells to hold the
criteria. You can't put the criteria in the dsum argument list itself

Tom Ogilvy

"jb" wrote:

Hello,
I need to do a dsum with a criteria of Isnumber(Check Number Column). I do
not know how to put a criteria in where I can return values only for those
rows where there is a number in another column.

Paid Check #
$100 1234
$200 Bounce
$300 4567
$400
$500 7777

I need a dsum to come back with $900 which are the 3 numeric looking Check
#'s. I can't figure out how to put the criteria in.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jb jb is offline

Perfect - thank you!

"Jim Cone" wrote in message

With the data in B5:C10...
=SUMIF(C6:C10,"0",B6:B10)
--

wrote in message
Hello,
I need to do a dsum with a criteria of Isnumber(Check Number Column). I
do
not know how to put a criteria in where I can return values only for those
rows where there is a number in another column.
Paid Check #
$100 1234
$200 Bounce
$300 4567
$400
$500 7777
I need a dsum to come back with $900 which are the 3 numeric looking Check
#'s. I can't figure out how to put the criteria in.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jb jb is offline

On a similar note, how do you do a compound criteria? That is, in the below
example, if I wanted to get all "Bounce" and all "Return", how do I specify
the Criteria? I tried "=Bounce OR Return", "=Bounce" OR "=Return" but
neither of those worked.

Also, trying to use not equal <, how do you use AND or OR like <Bounce And
< Return?

Thanks for your help.

John

"Jim Cone" wrote in message

With the data in B5:C10...
=SUMIF(C6:C10,"0",B6:B10)
--

wrote in message
Hello,
I need to do a dsum with a criteria of Isnumber(Check Number Column). I
do
not know how to put a criteria in where I can return values only for those
rows where there is a number in another column.
Paid Check #
$100 1234
$200 Bounce
$300 4567
$400 Return
$500 7777
I need a dsum to come back with $900 which are the 3 numeric looking Check
#'s. I can't figure out how to put the criteria in.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For Bounce or Return

=SUM(SUMIF(B1:B200,{"bounce","return"},A1:A200))
or
=Sumif(B1:B200,"bounce",A1:A200)+Sumif(B1:B200,"re turn",A1:A200)

or
=sumproduct((B1:B200="Bounce")+(B1:B200="Return"), A1:A200)

for not equal to either, this does NOT work:
=SUM(SUMIF(B1:B200,{"<bounce","<return"},A1:A200 ))

This will work

=Sum(A1:A200)-SUM(SUMIF(B1:B200,{"bounce","return"},A1:A200))

Tom Ogilvy

"jb" wrote:

On a similar note, how do you do a compound criteria? That is, in the below
example, if I wanted to get all "Bounce" and all "Return", how do I specify
the Criteria? I tried "=Bounce OR Return", "=Bounce" OR "=Return" but
neither of those worked.

Also, trying to use not equal <, how do you use AND or OR like <Bounce And
< Return?

Thanks for your help.

John

"Jim Cone" wrote in message

With the data in B5:C10...
=SUMIF(C6:C10,"0",B6:B10)
--

wrote in message
Hello,
I need to do a dsum with a criteria of Isnumber(Check Number Column). I
do
not know how to put a criteria in where I can return values only for those
rows where there is a number in another column.
Paid Check #
$100 1234
$200 Bounce
$300 4567
$400 Return
$500 7777
I need a dsum to come back with $900 which are the 3 numeric looking Check
#'s. I can't figure out how to put the criteria in.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=SUM(B6:B10)-SUMIF(C6:C10,"0",B6:B10)
This just sums all numbers in column B then subtracts.
Jim Cone

"jb"
wrote in message
On a similar note, how do you do a compound criteria? That is, in the below
example, if I wanted to get all "Bounce" and all "Return", how do I specify
the Criteria? I tried "=Bounce OR Return", "=Bounce" OR "=Return" but
neither of those worked.

Also, trying to use not equal <, how do you use AND or OR like <Bounce And
< Return?
Thanks for your help.
John

"Jim Cone"
wrote in message
With the data in B5:C10...
=SUMIF(C6:C10,"0",B6:B10)
--

wrote in message
Hello,
I need to do a dsum with a criteria of Isnumber(Check Number Column). I
do
not know how to put a criteria in where I can return values only for those
rows where there is a number in another column.
Paid Check #
$100 1234
$200 Bounce
$300 4567
$400 Return
$500 7777
I need a dsum to come back with $900 which are the 3 numeric looking Check
#'s. I can't figure out how to put the criteria in.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jb jb is offline

Great. This makes a lot of sense.

John

"jb" wrote:

On a similar note, how do you do a compound criteria? That is, in the
below
example, if I wanted to get all "Bounce" and all "Return", how do I
specify
the Criteria? I tried "=Bounce OR Return", "=Bounce" OR "=Return" but
neither of those worked.

Also, trying to use not equal <, how do you use AND or OR like <Bounce
And
< Return?

Thanks for your help.

John

"Jim Cone" wrote in message

With the data in B5:C10...
=SUMIF(C6:C10,"0",B6:B10)
--

wrote in message
Hello,
I need to do a dsum with a criteria of Isnumber(Check Number Column).
do
not know how to put a criteria in where I can return values only for
those
rows where there is a number in another column.
Paid Check #
$100 1234
$200 Bounce
$300 4567
$400 Return
$500 7777
I need a dsum to come back with $900 which are the 3 numeric looking
Check
#'s. I can't figure out how to put the criteria in.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jb jb is offline

Hmm, didn't think of that. Thank you.

John

wrote in message
On a similar note, how do you do a compound criteria? That is, in the
below
example, if I wanted to get all "Bounce" and all "Return", how do I
specify
the Criteria? I tried "=Bounce OR Return", "=Bounce" OR "=Return" but
neither of those worked.

Also, trying to use not equal <, how do you use AND or OR like <Bounce
And
< Return?
Thanks for your help.
John

"Jim Cone"
wrote in message
With the data in B5:C10...
=SUMIF(C6:C10,"0",B6:B10)
--

wrote in message
Hello,
I need to do a dsum with a criteria of Isnumber(Check Number Column). I
do
not know how to put a criteria in where I can return values only for
those
rows where there is a number in another column.
Paid Check #
$100 1234
$200 Bounce
$300 4567
$400 Return
$500 7777
I need a dsum to come back with $900 which are the 3 numeric looking
Check
#'s. I can't figure out how to put the criteria in.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jb jb is offline

Last one, I promise! I haven't used Excel in quite a while and didn't
realize how many functions have been added that I am not aware of (been
using Access quite a bit) nor how to use effectively.

Without having to add a column to a spreadsheet, I need to count the number
of rows that match criteria based on three columns. That is, If column A is
blank AND column B=0 AND column C=0, this would count as 1 valid row,
otherwise 0 valid row. It looks like I could do this somehow with IF() and
I'd like to use one of the functions you guys have been referencing (sumIF,
countIF, etc.). I do not know how to use compound criteria. I thought I
could do something like =IF(A="" AND B=0 AND C=0, 1, 0), but that doesn't
work. I see there is an AND function: AND(A="",B=0,C=0) or something like
that. Very confused.

Thanks for any help!

"jb" wrote:

On a similar note, how do you do a compound criteria? That is, in the
below
example, if I wanted to get all "Bounce" and all "Return", how do I
specify
the Criteria? I tried "=Bounce OR Return", "=Bounce" OR "=Return" but
neither of those worked.

Also, trying to use not equal <, how do you use AND or OR like <Bounce
And
< Return?

Thanks for your help.

John

"Jim Cone" wrote in message

With the data in B5:C10...
=SUMIF(C6:C10,"0",B6:B10)
--

wrote in message
Hello,
I need to do a dsum with a criteria of Isnumber(Check Number Column).
do
not know how to put a criteria in where I can return values only for
those
rows where there is a number in another column.
Paid Check #
$100 1234
$200 Bounce
$300 4567
$400 Return
$500 7777
I need a dsum to come back with $900 which are the 3 numeric looking
Check
#'s. I can't figure out how to put the criteria in.
Thank you.

ISNUMBER Tanya Excel Worksheet Functions 5 December 6th 07 04:45 PM
ISNumber Mike H. Excel Programming 11 October 19th 07 07:17 PM
isnumber() mark kubicki Excel Programming 2 November 5th 04 04:25 AM
ISNumber VBA trickdos[_9_] Excel Programming 7 July 23rd 04 10:37 PM
ISNUMBER Brady Snow Excel Programming 5 February 26th 04 05:39 AM