Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Enz Enz is offline

Default Click tool question

Hi Folks,

I need some advice on how to make a user interface friendly. I have a
macro sheet that has a list of tasks that is periodically loaded by
another controlling macro sheet. The sheet with the list of tasks is
used by an end user that has a requirement to quickly be able to click
on a button or a cell to capture tasks being performed in a day.

As indicated the list is dynamic and contains anywhere from 10 - 800
rows, therefore adding buttons beside each row is probably not a good
idea (as row heights will change, and I would need a way to associate
a row to a specific button, and also every time the list changes, the
number of buttons would have to be adjusted - either deleted and then
recreated). Originally this macro was coded using buttons, however it
was done for a known small number of entries in the list.

I have changed this, so that a double click on the cell that is to be
incremented increments a value in the cell clicked on automatically.
Problem is that when you double click it leaves you in edit mode on
the cell double clicked. This I believe will be seen as not
friendly. Though having said that, there could be the odd situation
where an end user may require to go into a cell and just put in a
value.

Does anyone have a suggestion where when you have a dynamic list being
loaded into a macro sheet, that has a requirement for an end user to
quickly add one to total for a specific list item (ideally with one
click), but also have the option to just go into the cell and hardcode
a value?

much appreciated,
Regards,
Enzo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It is kind of dangerous to increment data just clicking on a cell, i double
click by accident all the time, what I would do is put either a spinner
button in the menu or 2 buttons, an up and a down, then code them to
Activecell=Activecell+1. then they click on the cell they want to chnge, then
click the button to increment/decrement. You could even assign the macro to
keystrokes so they could change the active cell on Ctl+Shift U and Ctl+Shift
D.
--
-John
is helpful.