Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type num

Often when I'm doing a quick mortgage spreadsheet, I enter the first couple
of lines, then grow the range downwards by dragging the grow tool at the
bottom right of the selected range. This works, but it is a bit of a pain
when I am growing it to a large number of rows, as it often scrolls too far.
It would be nice to be able to right-click on the grow tool (the square at
the bottom right corner of the selected cell or range) and then type in a
number of lines to grow.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

If you are trying to copy down a formula to the end of the range, why not
trying for a double click on the grow tool of the cell containing the
formula? I feel this is what you wished to do.

"David Thyer" wrote:

Often when I'm doing a quick mortgage spreadsheet, I enter the first couple
of lines, then grow the range downwards by dragging the grow tool at the
bottom right of the selected range. This works, but it is a bit of a pain
when I am growing it to a large number of rows, as it often scrolls too far.
It would be nice to be able to right-click on the grow tool (the square at
the bottom right corner of the selected cell or range) and then type in a
number of lines to grow.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type

Hi Jaleel,

Thanks for that suuggestion. It works if I first grow the list of values in
Column A, month number, to the maximum value I want, e.g. 300 for 25 years.

However, the case I most commonly have is where none of the columns extend
down very far yet. Currently I select the whole bottom row, and then grow by
dragging the grow tool. I could grow just column A by dragging the grow tool,
then select the bottom row of the other columns, and then double click the
grow tool as you suggest, but that still involves first manually growing a
selection to 300 rows.

If there was a way to automatically generate the month number column, up to
a required value, then together with your double-click suggestion that would
be a great solution, but I don't know any way to do that.

Thanks again,

David

"David Thyer" wrote:

Often when I'm doing a quick mortgage spreadsheet, I enter the first couple
of lines, then grow the range downwards by dragging the grow tool at the
bottom right of the selected range. This works, but it is a bit of a pain
when I am growing it to a large number of rows, as it often scrolls too far.
It would be nice to be able to right-click on the grow tool (the square at
the bottom right corner of the selected cell or range) and then type in a
number of lines to grow.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

1) Go to the cell where you want the bottom of column A to be (say A1000).

2) Go to A1001 and enter a period or some other marker.

3) Navigate back to the top of the spreadsheet by CTRL + up arrow. Select
the cell (assume in A1) whose contents you want to fill down. Press
SHIFT+CTRL+Down Arrow+Enter and you're done.

"David Thyer" wrote:

Often when I'm doing a quick mortgage spreadsheet, I enter the first couple
of lines, then grow the range downwards by dragging the grow tool at the
bottom right of the selected range. This works, but it is a bit of a pain
when I am growing it to a large number of rows, as it often scrolls too far.
It would be nice to be able to right-click on the grow tool (the square at
the bottom right corner of the selected cell or range) and then type in a
number of lines to grow.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can just about do that.

Click in the cell containing the data or formula to copy.
Click in the 'name box' (left of formula bar).
Type in *last* cell address, say A300.
Hold down <Shift and hit <Enter

This selects the range, with the focus in your first, original cell.

Now, to complete the copy,
Hit <F2,
Then <Ctrl <Enter

And you're done!
--

HTH,

RD

"David Thyer" <David wrote in message
Often when I'm doing a quick mortgage spreadsheet, I enter the first couple
of lines, then grow the range downwards by dragging the grow tool at the
bottom right of the selected range. This works, but it is a bit of a pain
when I am growing it to a large number of rows, as it often scrolls too far.
It would be nice to be able to right-click on the grow tool (the square at
the bottom right corner of the selected cell or range) and then type in a
number of lines to grow.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi RagDyeR,

Thanks for that. It doesn't seem to extend the range in quite the same way
as growing it, just copies the last value, but by having a dummy first column
using this method, and then double clicking for the real columns, as per
Jaleel's suggestion, it gets me there.

Thanks again,

David

"RagDyeR" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave F,

I think I must be getting the SHIFT+CTRL+Down Arrow+Enter combination wrong,
because it doesn't seem to create any new values.

Thanks anyway,

David

"David Thyer" wrote:

Often when I'm doing a quick mortgage spreadsheet, I enter the first couple
of lines, then grow the range downwards by dragging the grow tool at the
bottom right of the selected range. This works, but it is a bit of a pain
when I am growing it to a large number of rows, as it often scrolls too far.
It would be nice to be able to right-click on the grow tool (the square at
the bottom right corner of the selected cell or range) and then type in a
number of lines to grow.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your terminology of "growing it" is unfamiliar to me.

Can you relate to me what the procedure that I described does *not* do in
"quite the same way" that your *growing it* does do?

RD

"RagDyeR" wrote:

[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For example, I type "Month" in A1 as a column heading. Then I type "1" into
A2, and "2" into A3. Then I select the range A2:A3. Finally I drag the little
square at the bottom right of the selection down for the required number of
rows, and the new values generated into cells A4 downwards have increasing
values, 3, 4, 5 etc. onwards.

When I try what you suggested, I just get the value in the cell repeated,
e.g. the value 2 repeated. Maybe I am doing it wrong?

Thanks,

David

"RagDyeR" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that you were solely interested in
*copying*.

If we're talking about *filling*, there's a dialog box that can help you
*fill* easily and quickly, if you're looking to go down a 1,000 rows or
across a couple hundred columns, and accomplish this without having to
"drag" the cells.

Say you want to number the rows from A2 to A1002, from 1 to 1000.

Enter 1 in A2 and click back in it to select it, then,
<Edit <Fill <Series
Since you're filling down, click "Columns",
Then "Step Value" = 1
"Stop Value" = 1000
Then <OK
And you're done!
--

"RagDyeR" wrote:

[...]

Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just for info............

The "grow tool" is actually named "fill handle".

But I kinda like grow tool also<g

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"RagDyeR" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Aha. That explains why when I searched the help for "fill handle" nothing
came up!

Using the words "fill handle" I've found a page headed "Fill data in
worksheet cells" which looks very useful.

Many thanks,

David