Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Missing Reference causing strange errors

We have a sheet that contains a good portion of the code as an .xla situated
on a shared LAN drive. The .xla is linked as a reference to a client sheet
that users use (to allow for updates to code without redistribution of
sheets). Well recently we lost connection to the LAN and when users opened up
the sheet, the code was bugging at a call to change the enabled property of a
button (we were have code to diable all features if no server is found). This
button exists on the client side and there is no code on the server side that
changing the enable property would activate. Does anyeone have any idea why
these errors would occur?

--
*********************
J Streger

User of MS Office 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

With the reference broken then your code does not compile and after that all
heck breaks loose everywhere. You could get around it by deleteing the
reference and using

Application.Run("Go find my xla procedure...")

Then the only issue you would have is that any code which requires the XLA
will not work and will error out. Additionally there will be a performance
hit because the code must generate the reference at run time instead of at
compile time...

My personal preference is to distribute the XLA and then publish updates to
the users... but that's just me...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson