Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro buttons causing XL fatal errors?

I've been getting fatal errors in XL2000 a lot lately. I looked around
here to see if I could find some info on the problem. I found a thread
saying that "controls" can cause XL lockups. Does this mean macro
buttons? In my case, macro buttons are just buttons I create from the
"Forms" toolbar, rename and assign a macro to. Do they cause XL
lockups?
I downloaded a program called "CodeCleaner" but it didn't install,
apparently. When I tried to run it per the instructions at the end of
the install, the command to run it doesn't appear on my "Tools,
Options" menu as it's supposed to. It's there and checked in the
"Add-ins" menu, but not anywhere I can access it. Tried from both the
spreadsheet and the VBE editor.
Is this the most likely source of my problem? If so, what can I do
about it? If not, what is the most likely source and what can you
reccommend about that?
BTW, I don't think it's memory related. I have 1G of memory. I do,
however, run a lot of stuff normally, including the 2M XL file I'm
usually working on and maybe one or two others, Novell GroupWise, my
browser, and often a file folder or 2 and possibly a Word documemt. I
added it all up from the Task Manager and show just over 200M.
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

close excel.

clean your temp directory...

windows/start/run %temp%
will get you there.

1000 files?.. or more?

delete everything (files and folders)!
1 or 2 files cannot be deleted because there 'in use'
the rest should go.

now keep watching that dir when you start excel,
and open your favourite 'shape-rich' workbook..

see why I dont like embedded controls?

--
keepITcool

davegb wrote :

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

davegb wrote :

[...]

Thanks for the help. I deleted everything it would let me delete. There
were about 60 items including folders. 6 it would not let me delete.

Why do embedded controls cause this problem? Is MS planning on fixing
this or is it just not common enough for them to worry about (I imagine
less than 1% of users use embedded controls)? What are the alternatives
to embedded controls for very basic end users (many of them think
adjusting column widths is advanced XL!)?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

davegb wrote :

[...]

Following up on my previous message. BE CAREFUL DELETING FILES FROM
YOUR TEMP FOLDER! I was advised to delete everything in the Temp
directory in this NG, and my Novell Groupwise email client couldn't
reply to incoming emails until I went back and restored some files it
keeps in the Temp directory! I don't yet know if other programs use the
Temp directory, but I'll be watching for them. I'm trying to find out
which ones it's safe to delete.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Lots of people recommend doing this clean up right after you boot up (so there's
no applications running) or right before you shut down (after you've closed all
applications).

davegb wrote:

davegb wrote :

[...]

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

davegb wrote:

davegb wrote :

[...]

I'm not too sure this fix is working. XL locked up on me yesterday
afternoon, not long after I cleaned out my Temp file. Will keep working
on it....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That temp file can get cluttered pretty fast--maybe cleaning it every day???

I have a VBS script in a folder and a shortcut to it on my desktop.

Since there are lots of programs that fail to clean up after themselves, I like
to run it on demand--either right when I turn on the pc or right before I shut
it off.

It was written by Michael Harris:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...%40tkmsftngp02

davegb wrote:
<<snipped
I'm not too sure this fix is working. XL locked up on me yesterday
afternoon, not long after I cleaned out my Temp file. Will keep working
on it....

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave Peterson wrote:
That temp file can get cluttered pretty fast--maybe cleaning it every day???

I have a VBS script in a folder and a shortcut to it on my desktop.

Since there are lots of programs that fail to clean up after themselves, I like
to run it on demand--either right when I turn on the pc or right before I shut
it off.

It was written by Michael Harris:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...%40tkmsftngp02

davegb wrote:
<<snipped
I'm not too sure this fix is working. XL locked up on me yesterday
afternoon, not long after I cleaned out my Temp file. Will keep working
on it....

--

Dave Peterson

Thanks for the additional information. Since I don't know anything
about VB scripting, I wouldn't even know where to start to use that
code. Was wondering if there's a way to do that from Execl VBA so that
when XL is opened, it cleans out the Temp file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Copy the code
paste into notepad
save as: deletetempfiles.vbs

double click on that when you want to clean the temp files.

(I actually put the .vbs file in a folder and put a shortcut to that .vbs file
on the desktop.)

But Dana DeLouis converted it so that it can be used in xl.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...932c72cef21fbe

or

http://tinyurl.com/djnys

davegb wrote:

Dave Peterson wrote:
That temp file can get cluttered pretty fast--maybe cleaning it every day???

I have a VBS script in a folder and a shortcut to it on my desktop.

Since there are lots of programs that fail to clean up after themselves, I like
to run it on demand--either right when I turn on the pc or right before I shut
it off.

It was written by Michael Harris:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...%40tkmsftngp02

davegb wrote:
<<snipped
I'm not too sure this fix is working. XL locked up on me yesterday
afternoon, not long after I cleaned out my Temp file. Will keep working
on it....

--

Dave Peterson

Thanks for the additional information. Since I don't know anything
about VB scripting, I wouldn't even know where to start to use that
code. Was wondering if there's a way to do that from Execl VBA so that
when XL is opened, it cleans out the Temp file?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

davegb wrote:

Dave Peterson wrote:
That temp file can get cluttered pretty fast--maybe cleaning it every day???

I have a VBS script in a folder and a shortcut to it on my desktop.

Since there are lots of programs that fail to clean up after themselves, I like
to run it on demand--either right when I turn on the pc or right before I shut
it off.

It was written by Michael Harris:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...%40tkmsftngp02

davegb wrote:
<<snipped
I'm not too sure this fix is working. XL locked up on me yesterday
afternoon, not long after I cleaned out my Temp file. Will keep working
on it....

--

Dave Peterson

Thanks for the additional information. Since I don't know anything
about VB scripting, I wouldn't even know where to start to use that
code. Was wondering if there's a way to do that from Execl VBA so that
when XL is opened, it cleans out the Temp file?

--

Dave Peterson

Dave,
Finally got back to this. I can't run the VB script, my network system
won't allow it. And the link you posted was to a program to reset the
system clock. Do you know where the XL VBA program is to clean out the
Temp file?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Oops. Sorry.

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...%40tkmsftngp02
is a link to Michael Harris's script to clean up the temp folder.

And depending on how your IT folks disabled scripting, you might not be able to
run this:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()

' Dim FSO As Scripting.FileSystemObject
' Dim myFile As Scripting.File
' Dim TempFolder As Scripting.Folder
' Dim myFolder As Scripting.Folder
' Set FSO = New Scripting.FileSystemObject

Dim FSO As Object
Dim myFile As Object
Dim TempFolder As Object
Dim myFolder As Object
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set TempFolder = FSO.GetSpecialFolder(2) 'TemporaryFolder = 2

On Error Resume Next
For Each myFile In TempFolder.Files
FSO.DeleteFile myFile.Path
Next myFile

For Each myFolder In TempFolder.SubFolders
FSO.DeleteFolder myFolder.Path
Next myFolder
On Error GoTo 0

End Sub

The commented lines would be used if you did Tools|references and included a
reference to Microsoft Scripting Runtime. (and comment out the next section).

davegb wrote:

Dave Peterson wrote:
That temp file can get cluttered pretty fast--maybe cleaning it every day???

I have a VBS script in a folder and a shortcut to it on my desktop.

Since there are lots of programs that fail to clean up after themselves, I like
to run it on demand--either right when I turn on the pc or right before I shut
it off.

It was written by Michael Harris:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...%40tkmsftngp02

davegb wrote:
<<snipped
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Oops. Sorry.

davegb wrote:

Dave Peterson wrote:
That temp file can get cluttered pretty fast--maybe cleaning it every day???

I have a VBS script in a folder and a shortcut to it on my desktop.

Since there are lots of programs that fail to clean up after themselves, I like
to run it on demand--either right when I turn on the pc or right before I shut
it off.

It was written by Michael Harris:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...%40tkmsftngp02

davegb wrote:
<<snipped
[...]

Thanks again, Dave. But it won't run either. I doubt that any vbscript
file will work. I'm going to contact IT and see if I can get a "special
dispensation".
Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There are API functions to get that temporary folder, too.

Here's a link with a couple of alternatives to get that temporary folder:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...6fb38808d3f14e

or

http://snipurl.com/h2jc

Then you could loop through the files trying to delete them???

davegb wrote:

Oops. Sorry.

davegb wrote:

Dave Peterson wrote:
That temp file can get cluttered pretty fast--maybe cleaning it every day???

I have a VBS script in a folder and a shortcut to it on my desktop.

Since there are lots of programs that fail to clean up after themselves, I like
to run it on demand--either right when I turn on the pc or right before I shut
it off.

It was written by Michael Harris:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...%40tkmsftngp02

<<snipped