Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Personal.xls in Office 2007 and Office 2000

I have both Office 2007 and Office 2000 dual installed on my computer until
I can be as proficient in 2007 as I am in 2000/2003. Currently I am hopping
between the two Excel versions. My problem arose when I was testing some
macro code I wrote for Excel 2000 in Excel 2007. It worked fine in 2007 with
a few tweaks, but now I can not open that file in Excel 2000. Any thoughts
on how to get all my macro code back without attempting to copy and paste
each one by hand? Is there a reason that both Excel's are sharing the same
file? MS has changed Excel in so many ways in 2007 that I am surprised it is
still sharing the personal.xls file and not making it a different extension
like they have with the other Excel files.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have 2007 defaulted to save to the older version of excel, and the file has
the xls extension, so it should have saved it so that it was compatible to
both, unfortunately it won't open in 2000.

Jessica wrote:

I have both Office 2007 and Office 2000 dual installed on my computer until
I can be as proficient in 2007 as I am in 2000/2003. Currently I am hopping
between the two Excel versions. My problem arose when I was testing some
macro code I wrote for Excel 2000 in Excel 2007. It worked fine in 2007 with
a few tweaks, but now I can not open that file in Excel 2000. Any thoughts
on how to get all my macro code back without attempting to copy and paste
each one by hand? Is there a reason that both Excel's are sharing the same
file? MS has changed Excel in so many ways in 2007 that I am surprised it is
still sharing the personal.xls file and not making it a different extension
like they have with the other Excel files.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you open the file in Excel 2007 and do a Save As, the current type of
file will appear in the Save As dialog. If it says "Excel 97-2003 Workbook"
is 'should' open in Excel 2000.

--
Jim
"Jessica" wrote in message
|I have 2007 defaulted to save to the older version of excel, and the file
has
| the xls extension, so it should have saved it so that it was compatible to
| both, unfortunately it won't open in 2000.
|
| "Dave Peterson" wrote:
|
| I don't use xl2007 very much, but did you save that personal.xls as an
xl2007
| file or did you save it as the older version?
|

| Jessica wrote:
|
| I have both Office 2007 and Office 2000 dual installed on my computer
until
| I can be as proficient in 2007 as I am in 2000/2003. Currently I am
hopping
| between the two Excel versions. My problem arose when I was testing
some
| macro code I wrote for Excel 2000 in Excel 2007. It worked fine in
2007 with
| a few tweaks, but now I can not open that file in Excel 2000. Any
thoughts
| on how to get all my macro code back without attempting to copy and
paste
| each one by hand? Is there a reason that both Excel's are sharing the
same
| file? MS has changed Excel in so many ways in 2007 that I am
surprised it is
| still sharing the personal.xls file and not making it a different
extension
| like they have with the other Excel files.
|
| --
|
| Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

When I am in the Visual Basic Code window, there is no save as option; my
only option is to save the module in the Personal.xls file. When I try to
open Excel 2000, it tells me that the personal.xls file is in an
unrecognizable format. If I switch to the Excel window to save, it wants to
save the blank sheet as a new workbook, which is not what I am trying to do.
All I need is for the modules I've written to work in both 2007 and 2000,
which requires each to read the personal.xls file when they open.

"Jessica" wrote in message
|I have 2007 defaulted to save to the older version of excel, and the file
has
| the xls extension, so it should have saved it so that it was compatible to
| both, unfortunately it won't open in 2000.
|
| "Dave Peterson" wrote:
|
| I don't use xl2007 very much, but did you save that personal.xls as an
xl2007
| file or did you save it as the older version?
|

| Jessica wrote:
|
| I have both Office 2007 and Office 2000 dual installed on my computer
until
| I can be as proficient in 2007 as I am in 2000/2003. Currently I am
hopping
| between the two Excel versions. My problem arose when I was testing
some
| macro code I wrote for Excel 2000 in Excel 2007. It worked fine in
2007 with
| a few tweaks, but now I can not open that file in Excel 2000. Any
thoughts
| on how to get all my macro code back without attempting to copy and
paste
| each one by hand? Is there a reason that both Excel's are sharing the
same
| file? MS has changed Excel in so many ways in 2007 that I am
surprised it is
| still sharing the personal.xls file and not making it a different
extension
| like they have with the other Excel files.
|
| --
|
| Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Go to Excel. Unhide Personal (Unhide on View tab). Then check the Save As
as I suggested. If it's Excel 2007 format (regardless of the extension)
save it in Excel 97-2003 format. Then Hide Personal and go to the VBE and
save it again so it's hidden.

--
Jim
"Jessica" wrote in message
| When I am in the Visual Basic Code window, there is no save as option; my
| only option is to save the module in the Personal.xls file. When I try to
| open Excel 2000, it tells me that the personal.xls file is in an
| unrecognizable format. If I switch to the Excel window to save, it wants
| save the blank sheet as a new workbook, which is not what I am trying to
do.
| All I need is for the modules I've written to work in both 2007 and 2000,
| which requires each to read the personal.xls file when they open.
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| If you open the file in Excel 2007 and do a Save As, the current type of
| file will appear in the Save As dialog. If it says "Excel 97-2003
Workbook"
| is 'should' open in Excel 2000.
|
| --
| Jim
| "Jessica" wrote in message
| |I have 2007 defaulted to save to the older version of excel, and the
file
| has
| | the xls extension, so it should have saved it so that it was
compatible to
| | both, unfortunately it won't open in 2000.
| |
| | "Dave Peterson" wrote:
| |
| | I don't use xl2007 very much, but did you save that personal.xls as
an
| xl2007
| | file or did you save it as the older version?
| |
| |
| |
| | Jessica wrote:
| |
| | I have both Office 2007 and Office 2000 dual installed on my
computer
| until
| | I can be as proficient in 2007 as I am in 2000/2003. Currently I
am
| hopping
| | between the two Excel versions. My problem arose when I was
testing
| some
| | macro code I wrote for Excel 2000 in Excel 2007. It worked fine
in
| 2007 with
| | a few tweaks, but now I can not open that file in Excel 2000. Any
| thoughts
| | on how to get all my macro code back without attempting to copy
and
| paste
| | each one by hand? Is there a reason that both Excel's are sharing
the
| same
| | file? MS has changed Excel in so many ways in 2007 that I am
| surprised it is
| | still sharing the personal.xls file and not making it a different
| extension
| | like they have with the other Excel files.
| |
| | --
| |
| | Dave Peterson
| |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That worked, thank you so much, I was not envisioning pleasant thoughts at
having to redo all the code I wrote and now I won't have to.

"Jessica" wrote in message
| When I am in the Visual Basic Code window, there is no save as option; my
| only option is to save the module in the Personal.xls file. When I try to
| open Excel 2000, it tells me that the personal.xls file is in an
| unrecognizable format. If I switch to the Excel window to save, it wants
| save the blank sheet as a new workbook, which is not what I am trying to
do.
| All I need is for the modules I've written to work in both 2007 and 2000,
| which requires each to read the personal.xls file when they open.
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| If you open the file in Excel 2007 and do a Save As, the current type of
| file will appear in the Save As dialog. If it says "Excel 97-2003
Workbook"
| is 'should' open in Excel 2000.
|
| --
| Jim
| "Jessica" wrote in message
| |I have 2007 defaulted to save to the older version of excel, and the
file
| has
| | the xls extension, so it should have saved it so that it was
compatible to
| | both, unfortunately it won't open in 2000.
| |
| | "Dave Peterson" wrote:
| |
| | I don't use xl2007 very much, but did you save that personal.xls as
an
| xl2007
| | file or did you save it as the older version?
| |
| |
| |
| | Jessica wrote:
| |
| | I have both Office 2007 and Office 2000 dual installed on my
computer
| until
| | I can be as proficient in 2007 as I am in 2000/2003. Currently I
am
| hopping
| | between the two Excel versions. My problem arose when I was
testing
| some
| | macro code I wrote for Excel 2000 in Excel 2007. It worked fine
in
| 2007 with
| | a few tweaks, but now I can not open that file in Excel 2000. Any
| thoughts
| | on how to get all my macro code back without attempting to copy
and
| paste
| | each one by hand? Is there a reason that both Excel's are sharing
the
| same
| | file? MS has changed Excel in so many ways in 2007 that I am
| surprised it is
| | still sharing the personal.xls file and not making it a different
| extension
| | like they have with the other Excel files.
| |
| | --
| |
| | Dave Peterson