Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Question about rounding.

I have learned how to work with Excel completely on my own with no books or
anything, so I don't know the correct verbage to ask my question.
Basically it is this.

Cell D41 = J41*1.3.
Cell D41 is formatted for no decimal places.
I need cell D41 to be rounded up to the next 99. (say the value of
J41*1.3=2209, I need the value to be 2299)

I am sure this is a simple and stupid question, but I have been trying to do
this myself for hours.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just round up to the nearest 100 and then subtract 1... something like this...

=ROUNDUP(J41*1.3, -2) - 1
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Gsotoolman" wrote:

I have learned how to work with Excel completely on my own with no books or
anything, so I don't know the correct verbage to ask my question.
Basically it is this.

Cell D41 = J41*1.3.
Cell D41 is formatted for no decimal places.
I need cell D41 to be rounded up to the next 99. (say the value of
J41*1.3=2209, I need the value to be 2299)

I am sure this is a simple and stupid question, but I have been trying to do
this myself for hours.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Brilliant! Thanks so much. Sad that such a simple problem should keep me
baffled for hours! Again, thank you.

"JMB" wrote:

Try:

=CEILING(J41*1.3+1,100)-1

"Gsotoolman" wrote:

I have learned how to work with Excel completely on my own with no books or
anything, so I don't know the correct verbage to ask my question.
Basically it is this.

Cell D41 = J41*1.3.
Cell D41 is formatted for no decimal places.
I need cell D41 to be rounded up to the next 99. (say the value of
J41*1.3=2209, I need the value to be 2299)

I am sure this is a simple and stupid question, but I have been trying to do
this myself for hours.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JMB JMB is offline

You're quite welcome. Thanks for the feedback!

"Gsotoolman" wrote:

Brilliant! Thanks so much. Sad that such a simple problem should keep me
baffled for hours! Again, thank you.

"JMB" wrote:

Try:

=CEILING(J41*1.3+1,100)-1

"Gsotoolman" wrote:

I have learned how to work with Excel completely on my own with no books or
anything, so I don't know the correct verbage to ask my question.
Basically it is this.

Cell D41 = J41*1.3.
Cell D41 is formatted for no decimal places.
I need cell D41 to be rounded up to the next 99. (say the value of
J41*1.3=2209, I need the value to be 2299)

I am sure this is a simple and stupid question, but I have been trying to do
this myself for hours.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What is the +1 for... Try that with 460.77 and you get a possible mistake...

460.77 * 1.3 = 599.001

Your formula returns 699. A a guess you would want 599 as .001 is only 1
tenth of a cent over 599...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Gsotoolman" wrote:

I have learned how to work with Excel completely on my own with no books or
anything, so I don't know the correct verbage to ask my question.
Basically it is this.

Cell D41 = J41*1.3.
Cell D41 is formatted for no decimal places.
I need cell D41 to be rounded up to the next 99. (say the value of
J41*1.3=2209, I need the value to be 2299)

I am sure this is a simple and stupid question, but I have been trying to do
this myself for hours.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It depends what the op wants. You have assumed that there should be 2
roundings. First decimals should be rounded up to the nearest whole number
(done by adding 1 to target * 1.3) and then that number should be rounded up
to the nearest 100. I have assumed only 1 rounding should occure and that is
the target * 1.3

Your way
460.77 * 1.3 = 599.001
599.001 + 1 = 600.001
600.001 round up to nearest 100 = 700
700 - 1 = 699

My way
460.77 * 1.3 = 599.001
599.001 round up to nearest 100 = 600
600 - 1 = 599
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Gsotoolman" wrote:

I have learned how to work with Excel completely on my own with no books or
anything, so I don't know the correct verbage to ask my question.
Basically it is this.

Cell D41 = J41*1.3.
Cell D41 is formatted for no decimal places.
I need cell D41 to be rounded up to the next 99. (say the value of
J41*1.3=2209, I need the value to be 2299)

I am sure this is a simple and stupid question, but I have been trying to do
this myself for hours.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JMB JMB is offline

I see now the OP only said D41 was formatted not to show decimals, not that
the actual value was rounded to no decimals. So, my example is flawed.

However, the OP said he wanted to round up to the next ##99, so I would
still think 599.001 s/b rounded to 699. But, what I *think* he wants is
irrelevant - I'll leave it to him to decide what to do in this case.