Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
SLP SLP is offline

Default lookup source can vary -- how to code?

Hi. I have a workbook that is for personnel planning. One sheet contains
employee data. after clicking on a button, the data is moved to a
calculations sheet. there, after clicking on a button, calculations are run
per employee and a Center/Location summary appears on the botton. There is
another sheet that is used to determine the % and $ splits per employee per
location. It takes the split location info from the employees sheet and the
total salary from the compensation sheet. Trouble is the compensation sheet
has a blank row between each of the compensation types (salary, FICA, SUTA,
etc) so hard coding the look up on the split sheet would not work because the
list of employees can shrink or grow. Can someone help me? If it would
help, I could send a sample file. Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A sample worksheet, with maybe some notes in it (try using text boxes?)
explaining again what you need done and pointing out the sheets/areas you're
talking about would help. Should be able to do it, but need to see how to
identify the various areas (salary, FICA, SUTA, etc) you mention.

Tell me in the email you attach the file to what version of Excel you're
using. I can deal with pretty much anything, but no system currently set u
with '97 on it. Oh - and remind me you're SLP on the boards. Send email and
attachment to (remove spaces)
HelpFrom @ jlathamsite.com

"SLP" wrote:

Hi. I have a workbook that is for personnel planning. One sheet contains
employee data. after clicking on a button, the data is moved to a
calculations sheet. there, after clicking on a button, calculations are run
per employee and a Center/Location summary appears on the botton. There is
another sheet that is used to determine the % and $ splits per employee per
location. It takes the split location info from the employees sheet and the
total salary from the compensation sheet. Trouble is the compensation sheet
has a blank row between each of the compensation types (salary, FICA, SUTA,
etc) so hard coding the look up on the split sheet would not work because the
list of employees can shrink or grow. Can someone help me? If it would
help, I could send a sample file. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
SLP SLP is offline

Good morning. I just sent you an email with an attachment. The workbook was
created in 2K. I really appreciate your help. Its been on my mind all
weekend.

"SLP" wrote:

Hi. I have a workbook that is for personnel planning. One sheet contains
employee data. after clicking on a button, the data is moved to a
calculations sheet. there, after clicking on a button, calculations are run
per employee and a Center/Location summary appears on the botton. There is
another sheet that is used to determine the % and $ splits per employee per
location. It takes the split location info from the employees sheet and the
total salary from the compensation sheet. Trouble is the compensation sheet
has a blank row between each of the compensation types (salary, FICA, SUTA,
etc) so hard coding the look up on the split sheet would not work because the
list of employees can shrink or grow. Can someone help me? If it would
help, I could send a sample file. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For all:
This one was one that required a custom VB solution. The requirement was
to actually create a single 'summary' sheet that accumulated data from a
number of other sheets in the workbook, and that had contents that could vary
widely. The initial summary sheet was hard coded for a maximum of 150
entries (which would appear as 7 groups of 150 related entries) on the
summary sheet. While it could have been accomplished simply by hiding unused
rows, a more dynamic approach was requested.
That's been accomplished.

"SLP" wrote:

Hi. I have a workbook that is for personnel planning. One sheet contains
employee data. after clicking on a button, the data is moved to a
calculations sheet. there, after clicking on a button, calculations are run
per employee and a Center/Location summary appears on the botton. There is
another sheet that is used to determine the % and $ splits per employee per
location. It takes the split location info from the employees sheet and the
total salary from the compensation sheet. Trouble is the compensation sheet
has a blank row between each of the compensation types (salary, FICA, SUTA,
etc) so hard coding the look up on the split sheet would not work because the
list of employees can shrink or grow. Can someone help me? If it would
help, I could send a sample file. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
SLP SLP is offline

Jerry is the best! He figured out the solution, gave good advice along the
way, and was unbelieveably responsive. I learned a lot from his efforts.