Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Alphabetic lookup within a pick box

Is there any way to have an Alphabetic lookup within a pick box? I have a
long list of data and it would help to have the list shorten up based on a
the spelling of the name.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If your data is sorted, then you could use the Combobox from the Control
Toolbox toolbar.

Tom Ogilvy

"Mathew" wrote:

Is there any way to have an Alphabetic lookup within a pick box? I have a
long list of data and it would help to have the list shorten up based on a
the spelling of the name.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

if it's sorted you can use one of the matchentry properties for the combobox:

select the cobobox and press F4.

look for matchentry

fmMatchEntryFirstLetter 0 Basic matching. The control searches for the
next entry that starts with the character entered. Repeatedly typing the same
letter cycles through all entries beginning with that letter.
FmMatchEntryComplete 1 Extended matching. As each character is typed, the
control searches for an entry matching all characters entered (default).
FmMatchEntryNone 2 No matching.

--

Gary

"Mathew" wrote:

Is there any way to have an Alphabetic lookup within a pick box? I have a
long list of data and it would help to have the list shorten up based on a
the spelling of the name.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Notice:

FmMatchEntryComplete 1 Extended matching. As each character is typed, the
control searches for an entry matching all characters entered (default).

says it is the default - This appears to be what the OP wanted so it should
require no additional action beyond assigning a sorted range of values in the
ListFillRange property.

Tom Ogilvy