-   -   Alphabetic lookup within a pick box (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/392963-alphabetic-lookup-within-pick-box.html)

mathew

Alphabetic lookup within a pick box

Is there any way to have an Alphabetic lookup within a pick box? I have a
long list of data and it would help to have the list shorten up based on a
the spelling of the name.

Tom Ogilvy

Alphabetic lookup within a pick box

If your data is sorted, then you could use the Combobox from the Control
Toolbox toolbar.

Tom Ogilvy

"Mathew" wrote:

Is there any way to have an Alphabetic lookup within a pick box? I have a
long list of data and it would help to have the list shorten up based on a
the spelling of the name.

mathew

Alphabetic lookup within a pick box

Tom: I'm new at this could you help me a little more on comboboxs. I read
the help file but it didn't really help me!

"Mathew" wrote:

Is there any way to have an Alphabetic lookup within a pick box? I have a
long list of data and it would help to have the list shorten up based on a
the spelling of the name.

Gary Keramidas

Alphabetic lookup within a pick box

if it's sorted you can use one of the matchentry properties for the combobox:

select the cobobox and press F4.

look for matchentry

fmMatchEntryFirstLetter 0 Basic matching. The control searches for the
next entry that starts with the character entered. Repeatedly typing the same
letter cycles through all entries beginning with that letter.
FmMatchEntryComplete 1 Extended matching. As each character is typed, the
control searches for an entry matching all characters entered (default).
FmMatchEntryNone 2 No matching.

--

Gary

"Mathew" wrote:

Is there any way to have an Alphabetic lookup within a pick box? I have a
long list of data and it would help to have the list shorten up based on a
the spelling of the name.

Tom Ogilvy

Alphabetic lookup within a pick box

Notice:

FmMatchEntryComplete 1 Extended matching. As each character is typed, the
control searches for an entry matching all characters entered (default).

says it is the default - This appears to be what the OP wanted so it should
require no additional action beyond assigning a sorted range of values in the
ListFillRange property.

Tom Ogilvy

"Mathew" wrote:

Is there any way to have an Alphabetic lookup within a pick box? I have a
long list of data and it would help to have the list shorten up based on a
the spelling of the name.

Gary Keramidas

Alphabetic lookup within a pick box

know that, but who knows what options have ever been changed, so i just pointed
out where the option was for his knowledge.

--

Gary

Notice: