Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Imported and Manually Entered Data

I am using excel to monitor document status, i.e. returned executed, released
for signature and returned fully executed. To save time I have imported a
data from one of our programs (Timberline) to populate all of the documents
and their specifics.

It worked great until I refreshed my data. All of the dates I had entered
into the columns had shifted with all of the new imported data. In other
words, the data I manually entered into excel didnt link to the imported
data. I have tried several things to try to link or lock them to each row,
however when I refresh the data it all gets scrambled again. Any ideas???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am not sure I understand your issue and I am new to VB Programming, but I
would suggest that the data that you import, import into a blank file, read
the data from the second file and then place it in the appropriate place in
the old file.
If I am totally missing the boat on this, please try to be more explicit
about how you are "importing a data".

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am importing my data from SQL, creating a query of the information I want
to import onto a blank excel spreadsheet.

The idea here is track the documents status with dates in the same row, next
to the data. However as time goes on and new documents are created and I
update the data, the dates that are manually entered next to the imported
data get jumbled. In other words it no longer aligns with the data it needs
to as new data is factored in.

"Mike H." wrote:

I am not sure I understand your issue and I am new to VB Programming, but I
would suggest that the data that you import, import into a blank file, read
the data from the second file and then place it in the appropriate place in
the old file.
If I am totally missing the boat on this, please try to be more explicit
about how you are "importing a data".

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It sounds as if you are inserting new data in a range of cells as opposed to
inserting rows at a time.

col1 col2 col3
doc desc date
doc2 desc2 date2
etc.
Then when you insert new data you get this:

col1 col2 col3
doc desc date
doc3 desc3 date2
doc2 desc2 blank

So you inserted cells instead of rows? If that is the case, the simple fix
would be to insert whole rows instead.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think I understand your issue. You have external data that is in say
columns a, b and c. Then in column D, you have data that you have entered,
but when you refresh your query a new row was inserted so the data to the
right of your query is not associated with the appropriate line any longer.
If that is the case, what I'd do is have a formula to the right if your
queried data that does a filelookup to your data. The link would be a unique
field in both sets of data. Here is an example:

Queried data:
Name Amt1 Amt2 Amt3
In a separate place:
Name YourData

the formulat in the column to the right of Amt3 would be:
vlookup(Name,YourTable,2,false). This was that formula would always "pull"
the data from the right place. The only issue is you might have to reset the
Name element of this function to the row you're in if it gets "distored"
during the query refresh. Then you'd have to copy the formula down also. I
hope this makes sense.