Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Program editing to copy in text format

I have included the code, but what I am trying to do is instead of copying
the entire pivot table which is currently 4MB, I would like to copy just the
active text for what the user has selected. Also I wanted to reference a
cell in the subject of the outgoing email, and I attempted to use
range("B10") but it wouldnt accept that, is there a way I could do that?
Thanks so much.

Sub Mail_ActiveSheet()
'Working in 2000-2007
Dim FileExtStr As String
Dim FileFormatNum As Long
Dim Sourcewb As Workbook
Dim Destwb As Workbook
Dim TempFilePath As String
Dim TempFileName As String
Dim OutApp As Object
Dim OutMail As Object

With Application
.ScreenUpdating = False
.EnableEvents = False
End With

Set Sourcewb = ActiveWorkbook

'Copy the sheet to a new workbook
ActiveSheet.Copy
Set Destwb = ActiveWorkbook

'Determine the Excel version and file extension/format
With Destwb
If Val(Application.Version) < 12 Then
'You use Excel 2000-2003
FileExtStr = ".xls": FileFormatNum = -4143
Else
'You use Excel 2007
'We exit the sub when your answer is NO in the security dialog
that you only
'see when you copy a sheet from a xlsm file with macro's
disabled.
If Sourcewb.Name = .Name Then
With Application
.ScreenUpdating = True
.EnableEvents = True
End With
MsgBox "Your answer is NO in the security dialog"
Exit Sub
Else
Select Case Sourcewb.FileFormat
Case 51: FileExtStr = ".xlsx": FileFormatNum = 51
Case 52:
If .HasVBProject Then
FileExtStr = ".xlsm": FileFormatNum = 52
Else
FileExtStr = ".xlsx": FileFormatNum = 51
End If
Case 56: FileExtStr = ".xls": FileFormatNum = 56
Case Else: FileExtStr = ".xlsb": FileFormatNum = 50
End Select
End With

' 'Change all cells in the worksheet to values if you want
' With Destwb.Sheets(1).UsedRange
' .Cells.Copy
' .Cells.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
' .Cells(1).Select
' End With
' Application.CutCopyMode = False

'Save the new workbook/Mail it/Delete it
TempFilePath = Environ$("temp") & "\"
TempFileName = Range("B10") & " " & "Schedule" & " " & "Requests" & " "
& Format(Now, "dd-mmm-yy h-mm-ss")

Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
OutApp.Session.Logon
Set OutMail = OutApp.CreateItem(0)

With Destwb
.SaveAs TempFilePath & TempFileName & FileExtStr,
FileFormat:=FileFormatNum
On Error Resume Next
With OutMail
.To = ""
.CC = ""
.BCC = ""
.Subject = "Schedule Requests"
.Body = ""
.Attachments.Add Destwb.FullName
'You can add other files also like this
'.Attachments.Add ("C:\test.txt")
.Display 'or use .Send
End With
On Error GoTo 0
.Close SaveChanges:=False
End With

'Delete the file you have send
Kill TempFilePath & TempFileName & FileExtStr

Set OutMail = Nothing
Set OutApp = Nothing

With Application
.ScreenUpdating = True
.EnableEvents = True
End With

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom, sorry about that, this is the code you gave me, I have been unable to
figure out where to input it into the code, sorry.

rng.Copy
ActiveSheet.Range("A1").PasteSpecial xlValues
rng.parent.cells.copy
Activesheet.Cells.PasteSpecial xlFormats

"Josh Johansen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom, I was thinking about the code you gave me, wasn't that to ensure the
column width format remained the same, I am trying to do that while copying
and pasting just the text, I have tried inputing that code into a couple of
different locations and have received:

run-time error '424':

Object required

Sorry again, I literally have almost zero VBA knowledge

"Josh Johansen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

in the code you posted, you copy the entire sheet

ActiveSheet.Copy

You then asked:

instead of copying the entire pivot table which is currently 4MB, I would like to copy just the active text for what the user has selected.

The code I gave you was
ActiveSheet.PivotTables(1).TableRange2.copy

which only copied the table and when you use pastespecial, only the cells
and the data they display are pasted, not the entire table infrastructure you
complain about.

You complained that it didn't copy row heights and column widths and I gave
you corrected code to do that.

That all said, in the current voluminous code you have, if you uncomment

' 'Change all cells in the worksheet to values if you want
' With Destwb.Sheets(1).UsedRange
' .Cells.Copy
' .Cells.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
' .Cells(1).Select
' End With
' Application.CutCopyMode = False

it should remove the pivottable and only leave the values.

By the way, no offense to Ron, but

nme = IntputBox("Enter email address")
subj = Inputbox("enter Subject")
ActiveWorkbook.Sendmail subject:=subj, recipients:=nme

would work fine if the user entered a valid email address (only one - which
I understand is your requirement).

Tom Ogilvy

"Josh Johansen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom, I see exactly what you are saying, it now copies text exactly like I
wanted it to and it was quite obvious, I really do appologize that I am so
unfamiliar and asking questions I really should know. I still have two small
issues that I will continue to try and figure out on my own, I would like to
be able to reference cell B10 in the subject because the same person will
receive multiple emails with this sheet, but the difference is B10, and also
I have no narrow down the range so it only displays cells with data, or only
a couple pages insead of over 700. Like I said I will continue to try and
figure it out and I am sure I will be able to, but again I thank you very
much for your assistance.

Josh

"Josh Johansen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You are already using range("B10") here - where do you want to use it.

TempFileName = Range("B10") & " " & "Schedule" & " " & "Requests" & " "
& Format(Now, "dd-mmm-yy h-mm-ss")

similarly

.Subject = "Schedule Requests: " & Range("B10").Text

as for 700 pages, that sounds like something to do with printing.

do edit=goto=special and select last cell. If it goes way past where you
think it should be, then look at this:

regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Josh Johansen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom, adding the .Text solved the issue, what I wanted to do was input that
cell into the subject line and it worked. I understand the issue with
selecting the print area, what I am trying to do is only copy, paste and
email the cells with data so that the users can just print without worrying
about print areas or selecting a range, and also it makes the file size
smaller which is nice as well.

"Josh Johansen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom, you are right you did, and I am sorry about the confusion. I was told
by Ron that by using the code you gave me I would be unable to open an email
with the sheet attatched and then select the users to email. The code you
gave me worked great, but I was unable to select email addresses from an
address book. He informed me that the only way to have a feature like that
was to use a code that he gave me a link to, so I switched over to that.
Everything is working great now and I just got back from presenting it and
everyone was happy with what it does, the only issue I am still working on is
getting the cells copied from the sheet to be smaller, so I went back and
found the code you left me before, and I will try and insert into the code I
have now if I am able to find the right location. Again I am sorry for the
confusion, but I really do appreciate all the help you have given me.

"Josh Johansen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you want the email to popup in your mail program with the attachment
already there and the user makes a selection in the email as to the address,
then hits send, then that is correct. Sendmail does not allow user
interaction.

Tom Ogilvy

"Josh Johansen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you want the email to popup in your mail program with the attachment
already there and the user makes a selection in the email as to the address,
then hits send, then that is correct. Sendmail does not allow user
interaction.

Send mail was a single line/command in what I provided.

Tom Ogilvy

"Josh Johansen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Right, and that is my fault for not better explaining what I was trying to
do, but I really had no idea if it could be done at all much less what to try
and make it do. I really do appreciate your help, I have tried using that
code you gave me to copy only the cells with data and I am still getting an
error, can that code work with what I have now?

"Josh Johansen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

activesheet.copy

produces a single sheet workbook.

The code I wrote produces a single sheet workbook

Substitute my code for Activesheet.copy in your code.

--
regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Josh Johansen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom, I am really having a hard time with this, I have tride half a dozen
different things with the code you gave me. I have tried inputing this code:

set rng = ActiveSheet.PivotTables(1).TableRange2
workbooks.Add Template:=xlWBATWorksheet
Activesheet.Range("A1").Select
rng.copy
Activesheet.PasteSpecial xlValues
Activesheet.PasteSpecial xlFormats

into a couple of spots in this code:

[...]

.Subject = Range("B10").Text & " " & "Schedule Requests for" & "
" & Range("F3").Text
.Body = ""
.Attachments.Add Destwb.FullName
'You can add other files also like this
'.Attachments.Add ("C:\test.txt")
.Display 'or use .Send
End With
On Error GoTo 0
.Close SaveChanges:=False
End With

'Delete the file you have send
Kill TempFilePath & TempFileName & FileExtStr

Set OutMail = Nothing
Set OutApp = Nothing

With Application
.ScreenUpdating = True
.EnableEvents = True
End With
End Sub

"Josh Johansen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This would be my recommendation.

Sub Mail_ActiveSheet()
'Working in 2000-2007
Dim FileExtStr As String
Dim FileFormatNum As Long
Dim Sourcewb As Workbook
Dim Destwb As Workbook
Dim TempFilePath As String
Dim TempFileName As String
Dim OutApp As Object
Dim OutMail As Object
Dim rng as Range

"

"Josh Johansen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom, I copied and pasted what you gave me and I got the following error:

Run-time error '1004'

PasteSpecial method of worksheet failed

when i go to debug, the ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial xlValues row is
highlighted. Also I need to copy the seven rows above the pivot table, can I
use the same change to the code you left me before? Thanks again.

"Josh Johansen" wrote:

Tom, you are right you did, and I am sorry about the confusion. I
was told
by Ron that by using the code you gave me I would be unable to open
an email
with the sheet attatched and then select the users to email. The
code you
gave me worked great, but I was unable to select email addresses
from an
address book. He informed me that the only way to have a feature
like that
was to use a code that he gave me a link to, so I switched over to

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I just used the code you posted to illustrate - I didn't look to see you had
posted the flawed code before I provided the correction - I assume you have
now used the corrected code I previously provided.

Tom Ogilvy