Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Download text file from website

Good morning!

Thanks largely to the excellent reference material posted on this site
I have succeeded in automating IE using Excel VBA. Thank you all. But
I have one small issue left to solve. My little Excel 2003 app uses
IE7 to navigate to a website where it attempts to open a text file.
So far so good but IE7 responds with a confirmation dialog asking if I
want to "Open", "Save" or "Cancel". Does anyone have suggestions how
to implement an automatic response to that question? I would like to
"Open" the text file.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Jun 15, 8:59 am, xllentcharts wrote:
Good morning!

Thanks largely to the excellent reference material posted on this site
I have succeeded in automating IE using Excel VBA. Thank you all. But
I have one small issue left to solve. My little Excel 2003 app uses
IE7 to navigate to a website where it attempts to open a text file.
So far so good but IE7 responds with a confirmation dialog asking if I
want to "Open", "Save" or "Cancel". Does anyone have suggestions how
to implement an automatic response to that question? I would like to
"Open" the text file.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Could you post a link to the url so that we could try some ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't know if you're the original poster, but "downloading" and
"opening" are two completely different functions, and will most likely
require different solutions.

Specifics of how to do either would require more detail, since there
can be dozens of complications depending on how a given web site
presents/delivers the data.

For example, I often grab the "text" file of current stock quotes from
Yahoo's current quotes server. The easiest solution for me was to
just open the web page of data they create using the XMLHTTP method.
However, downloading the file would be a different process. And
opening it on the web would bring up a confirmation notice similar to
the one mentioned by the original message of the thread -- one reason
I avoid doing it with the IE object.

On Jun 15, 10:01 am, rac wrote:
This is what I want to do. How do I Download text file from website in VBA.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
rac rac is offline

I 'm not the orig. poster. I'd like to continue this quest. I submitted a
question in this discussion group. SEE How can I download from the web using
VBA.
--
rac