Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Download data from website

I am building a reporting solution with Excel 2000. I would like the
spreadsheet to be able to download data from SQL Server on our website.

The data will go into a specific range on my spreadsheet on which further
calculations can then take place.

If possible I want this to be controlled from Excel i.e. User will press a
button on a customized Excel toolbar which will then run some code to carry
out the above.

Can this be done.

Thanks in advance
Sanjay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, that all can be done.

To start, try using Data | Get External Data, New Database Query...

you can record a macro while you do that, which will give you the basic code
that you need to connect to the SQL server.

Regards,

Juan Pablo González

"Sanjay Singh" wrote in message
I am building a reporting solution with Excel 2000. I would like the
spreadsheet to be able to download data from SQL Server on our website.

The data will go into a specific range on my spreadsheet on which further
calculations can then take place.

If possible I want this to be controlled from Excel i.e. User will press a
button on a customized Excel toolbar which will then run some code to

carry
out the above.

Can this be done.

Thanks in advance
Sanjay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Sanjay,

Sanjay Singh wrote:
Is there any way to try and get the information from an ASP page
instead of directly from the SQL Server.

Yes - instead of a new database query, you would build a new web query via
Data | Import External Data. You can specify what table(s) you want to
import and where you want to put them. It should do what you're looking
for.

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com