Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Cannot put control on the form

Hi,

As soon as I try to put a control on my form, I get this message:
The control could not be created because it is not properly licensed

This is not the case with standard controls which are on the toolbar by
default (label, textbox, etc).

Please tell me how can I fix that problem? I don't have any administrative
permissions set in my account.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Depends which control(s) you are referring to.
Just because they exist on your system and COM has registered them, you may
not necessarily have a "design-time" license, only a 'run-time" license.
As such, they can be used in the app they were included with, but you cannot
develop/add them to new projects/workbooks.

There is also an issue with some MS controls and a recent security update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827742
although I would not expect a licensing error in this case.

Without an Admin account, you may find it difficult to fix the above
situation though.

NickHK

"Eugene via OfficeKB.com" <u32520@uwe wrote in message
Hi,

As soon as I try to put a control on my form, I get this message:
The control could not be created because it is not properly licensed

This is not the case with standard controls which are on the toolbar by
default (label, textbox, etc).

Please tell me how can I fix that problem? I don't have any administrative
permissions set in my account.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nick,

Thanks for the explanation.

Do you know how the licensing process runs? Is it something that can be done
by "switching" from a run-time license to a design-time license, and which
can be done by admins? Or, should I personally acquire such license to be
able to use advanced controls in my applications?

Thanks,
Eugene

NickHK wrote:
Depends which control(s) you are referring to.
Just because they exist on your system and COM has registered them, you may
not necessarily have a "design-time" license, only a 'run-time" license.
As such, they can be used in the app they were included with, but you cannot
develop/add them to new projects/workbooks.

There is also an issue with some MS controls and a recent security update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827742
although I would not expect a licensing error in this case.

Without an Admin account, you may find it difficult to fix the above
situation though.

NickHK

Hi,

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
Please tell me how can I fix that problem? I don't have any administrative
permissions set in my account.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As I understand it:
If I purchase a control from a 3rd party (e.g. Sheridan), then I have a
design-time license to use that control in my app, developed in VB6, Delphi,
whatever.
I then create an installer for my app, which will include the required
dependencies (e.g. this control), for installation on your system.
Whilst COM can then obviously find and use this control (inside my app) on
your system, you only have a run-time license.

If you wish to develop your own software with that control, you too need to
obtain the design-time license.

This situation only occurs with components whose authour wishes to control
such behaviour; it is not necessary, as you see with the built-in MS
standard control or those given away free.
However, other checks may be carried out, as the link I included outlined.

There may well be something else suitable, freely available, if you tell use
which control you are trying to use.

NickHK wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Nick.
I'm trying to use the DataGrid control and the RichTextBox conrtol.

NickHK wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 28 lines]
Please tell me how can I fix that problem? I don't have any administrative
permissions set in my account.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assuming these are the MS versions and you are not on Vista, then the link I
provided before may fix it.
Also, make sure they are both properly registered:
http://activex.moonvalley.com/regist...ex_control.htm