Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default manual vs. automatic calculation

This works well everytime I open a file and hence an instance of Excel
opens. However, if I first open a small file such that my
personal.xls file switches calculation to automatic, then if I open a
very big file, Excel automatically starts to calculate the file & only
after that does it switch calculation to manual. Any workarounds for
this?

Thanks a lot,
Mehul

On Jul 30 2006, 12:46 pm, "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:
It might be easier to set calculation to manual, then if the file is small
enough, turn it back on after the file is opened.

you would need to use application level events to turn it on.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/appevent.htm

Do that in the personal.xls or an addin.

Tom Ogilvy

"Kaiser" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hello,

Every time any Excel file is opened, I'd like Excel to automatically
check the size of the file being opened and if it is greater than say,
5mb, I'd like Manual calculate to be turned on. Is there a way to do
this?

The workbook_open event etc. wouldn't work since then I would have to
include this macro in every single Excel workbook I ever create or that
already exists. Having the macro in the xlstart folder etc. doesn't
work either since the macro there doesn't seem to be run before the
file is opened.

Is there a way to do this using VBA? or VB6? or at the command line?

Thanks,- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The problem is that in Automatic mode Excel recalculates the file before any
events fire, so there is no way to prevent this using any code contained in
the large workbook.
The only (partial) workaround is to make sure that Excel always starts in
Manual mode (use Personal.xls to set to Manual), then have code in the small
workbooks to switch to automatic.

Or only ever open a single workbook at a time.

Charles
Decision Models
FastExcel 2.3 now available
Name Manager 4.0 now available