Posted to microsoft.public.excel.datamap,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

Default European Address Data

There is no simple way to do this - there is no "European standard" for
addresses. You can either try a data driven approach - parse out differently
for cases where you find "england", "france" and so on, but then you have to
be cute to look for spelling mistakes.

Sorry to be a doom merchant, but if I was in your shoes I'd either grit my
teeth, roll up my sleeves and prepare for a long long job OR go back to the
source of the data and ask for the data in a better format. If you cannot get
the data in a better format then good luck.

--
http://www.alignment-systems.com

"Mark S" wrote:

Hi and thanks in advance for any help.

I have 700,000 European Companies in a csv file.

Unfortunately the COUNTRY is separate but all other information (street,
zip/postal, city, region/state) is in one ADDRESS column.

I would like to be able to "find and copy/move" info to separate
street/city/zip columns as best as possible

For example for French or German addresses the zip code is five digits so I
want to search the the ability to move '#####' ("five number characters in a
row")strings to a ZIP column

Ideally this would also allow the ability to also take everything AFTER the
"five number characters in a row" string (i.e. Paris and/or Chalonnes sur
Loire) to a CITY column given the European ordering standard of
address-zip-city)

Suggestions???