Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Hyperlink results refresh Event

I have 2 workbooks one called "A" and the other "B". THere is a cell
in a worksheet in workbook "B" that hyperlinks to a cell in workbook
"A". When a change is made to the cell in book "A" the hyperlink in
book "B" updates to show the change. My problem is that I want to run
a macro when the cell in book "B" changes. The problem is I can not
find a event that is triggered when this update is made to book "B". I
can run code when book "B" is activated by me looking at it and such
but I want code tied directly to the updating or refreshing of a
specific hyperlinked cell. The before hyper link event on a worksheet
only works if you are clicking on a hyper link to go to it or
something. I dont want to have to click on anything.

If someone can help me with this hyper link problem I would sure
appreciate it.

Thanks
Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I approached a similar problem with an OnTime event to periodically poll the
cell. This was a DDE app. I don't reccomend this approach.

Is there any way you can trap the event in book B instead??
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200720

"Riddler" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I actually have 2 different spreadsheets doing different things but
have the same bottle neck. One of them has a dynamic link to a PLC
(programable logic controller) on a machine in a factory. Every time
the machine produces a bad part a error code is entered and when this
happens the spreadsheet automatically detects this error entry and
displays a series of ascii codes. I have a cell with a formula that
then "decodes" these asciii numbers into text to be able to read the
error. What we are wanting to add is a time stamp to each error. So
when a error is entered on the PLC the spreadsheet sees this and
updates and calcuates the text message from the ascii numbers and then
puts a time stamp in the cell next to it. I have been able to get the
calculate event to show but I dont get the target reference of what
changed in the recalc.
The other similar case is with 2 spreadsheets that are hyperlinked.
When a new name is put in a cell I want it to show in the second
workbook and then rename the sheet tab in the second book also. The
problem is capturing a event that happens when a hyperlink updates.

Scott