Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
eagle

Default refresh advanced filter results

Once an advanced filter has been set up in excel, is it possible to refresh
the results of the filter if the source data changes?

More background:
I'm creating a tool for users who are not savvy with excel. They enter
values against a list of names (A,B,C or D and 1,2,3 or 4). On another
worksheet I want the names to be displayed in a grid: everyone with an A1
goes into the top left of the grid, A2 next box to the right, etc.then
B1,B2... in the next row of the grid. I'm trying to do this using advanced
filters. The filters work when I set them up, but I don't know how to refresh
the results. EG, for the user, when they go back to change a value against
the original list, the name should move from one box in the grid to another.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Suresh

One way is to create a table linked with the original input area table and
then carry out advanced filter on the linked table filtering the data on the
same location. You can create a macro to perform the advanced filter and
assign it to a button so that users can update the new data and perform the
filtering again by pressing the button.

"eagle" wrote:

Once an advanced filter has been set up in excel, is it possible to refresh
the results of the filter if the source data changes?

More background:
I'm creating a tool for users who are not savvy with excel. They enter
values against a list of names (A,B,C or D and 1,2,3 or 4). On another
worksheet I want the names to be displayed in a grid: everyone with an A1
goes into the top left of the grid, A2 next box to the right, etc.then
B1,B2... in the next row of the grid. I'm trying to do this using advanced
filters. The filters work when I set them up, but I don't know how to refresh
the results. EG, for the user, when they go back to change a value against
the original list, the name should move from one box in the grid to another.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

"eagle" wrote:
.. enter values against a list of names
(A,B,C or D and 1,2,3 or 4).
On another worksheet I want the names to be displayed
in a grid: everyone with an A1 goes into the top left of
the grid, A2 next box to the right, etc.then
B1,B2... in the next row of the grid.

One interp on the intent &
a play to automate it via non-array formulas ..

Sample construct at:
http://www.savefile.com/files/5123561
Placing Data In Matrix by Coords eagle_misc.xls

In Sheet1, names are entered in A2 down, and the "values" such as: A1, B2,
C3, J9, etc are input in B2 down. Values entered are assumed unique.

Names Val
Name1 A1
Name2 B2
Name3 C3
Name4 J9
etc

Let's also assume the max range of "values" is capped between: A1 to Z10,
viz.: A1 - A10, B1 - B10, ... Z1 - Z10

In Sheet2
Put in A1:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(CHAR(ROW()+64)&COLUMN(),Sheet1!$B:$ B,0)),"",INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$
A,MATCH(CHAR(ROW()+64)&COLUMN(),Sheet1!$B:$B,0)))

Copy A1 across 10 cols to J10, fill down 26 rows to J26

A1:J26 will return the desired results, with names placed within the matrix
according to the values entered in Sheet1
--
Rgds
Max