Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Custom Add-in - How to Manage

I wrote a small function to manage some error handling I normally do with
excel functions.

I saved this as an add-in.

When I opened a shared file on another machine, the function pointed to my
C: Drive, instead of giving a ?Name? error.

Can someone point me to a method of avoiding this? I want the function to
work like an add-in, not a function sitting on my desktop.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you share this addin with lots of people connected to a common share, you
could put the addin in a folder on that sharename.

If all the users map to that drive using the same letter, it would be easier.
If they don't map to it or map as a different drive letter, then I'd try
installing the addin by browsing to that UNC path.

If the users don't have a common drive to use, you could tell them that your
addin goes in a folder called:

C:\PetersUtils

And then tell them to browse to that folder when installing that addin
(tools|addins).

By using a common drive (C:) and a common folder, it should work ok. (You'll
have to follow the same rules, too.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave - thanks for your response.

I really have no idea what I'm doing, I'm new to all of this.

If I read your post right, you're recommending that I put the new function
into the same directory as the shared files. This isn't really practical in
my application.

Is there no way to have the function fail and yield an error message instead
of pointing to a location it can't reach?

Is this right place to get this type of support, even if it is quite basic
help?

Thanks
Peter

Peter Owitz wrote:

I wrote a small function to manage some error handling I normally do with
excel functions.

I saved this as an add-in.

When I opened a shared file on another machine, the function pointed to my
C: Drive, instead of giving a ?Name? error.

Can someone point me to a method of avoiding this? I want the function to
work like an add-in, not a function sitting on my desktop.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My suggestion was to put the addin in a location that has the same name no
matter who refers to it.

You can do that by using the UNC path:
\\myshare\myfolder\myaddin.xla

Or have the users put the addin in a location that has the same name for
everyone:
c:\petersutils\myaddin.xla

I don't think you can override the way excel behaves. You could teach the users
how to use Edit|Links and change source.

Or you could use some sort of macro that changes the link when the workbook
opens so that it points at a location that you know.