Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default grouping same rows in report

I have an Excel report (Header row A1..., data from A2 to V899)

In column A, there are duplicate names each with it's own data.

What I would like to do is first group all these same rows together.
looks like this:

EMPLOYEES.Name
Alejandro-Yarema,Warren
Alexiuk,Leonard Louis
Anctil,Craig William
Anderson,Laura E.
Anderson,Laura E.
Andrews,Janice Rose
Andrews,Janice Rose
Andrews,Jeremy
Antoniak,Michael
Antoniszyn,John
Appleford,John E.
Appleford,John E.
Appleford,John E.

I need to be able to first, get an accurate count of all the rows
(only counting all same names as 1 row) then be able to display rows
grouped together.

Is there an easy way to do this?

thx

Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think the easiest way is to use the built in functions that excel offers.

First, sort your range so that the names are grouped nicely.

Then select that range (A1:V899) and use
Data|Subtotals

You'll be able to specify the name field as the key and even add subtotals
(count or sum or average or...)

If you add data, then remove the subtotals (data|subtotals dialog)
resort (if you need to)
and reapply the data|subtotals

--

Dave Peterson

Grouping Rows Seftyby Excel Worksheet Functions 1 October 3rd 08 02:18 PM
grouping rows... kang New Users to Excel 5 June 10th 07 05:44 PM
grouping rows greg Excel Programming 2 January 25th 07 05:21 PM
Grouping Rows Moz Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 July 21st 06 05:33 AM
Grouping Rows Justin Philips Excel Programming 4 March 31st 06 07:27 PM