Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default grouping rows...

say:
DEPT1 EMP1
DEPT1 EMP2
DEPT1 EMP3
DEPT2 EMP4
DEPT2 EMP5
DEPT3 EMP6
DEPT3 EMP7

if I want to group the rows by dept, do I have to select dept1 and group
them, and select dept2 and group... for every dept?

any better ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Data | Filter | Autofilter
is probably the fastest way to simply look at rows with specific DEPT#
entries in them. If you've got some special need to do much more than that
with them, then we'd need a more detailed explanation of what you want to do
with this information.

"kang" wrote:

say:
DEPT1 EMP1
DEPT1 EMP2
DEPT1 EMP3
DEPT2 EMP4
DEPT2 EMP5
DEPT3 EMP6
DEPT3 EMP7

if I want to group the rows by dept, do I have to select dept1 and group
them, and select dept2 and group... for every dept?

any better ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

One way is the use of SUBTOTALs
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sumdata.htm

Basics of using Subtotals
http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm

If you just want to insert a blank row on Column A change
Insert Blank Rows on Column A change of value (#ColAchg)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...ow.htm#ColAchg
See top of that page if not familiar with macros, or go to...
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#havemacro
--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel

"kang" wrote:

say:
DEPT1 EMP1
DEPT1 EMP2
DEPT1 EMP3
DEPT2 EMP4
DEPT2 EMP5
DEPT3 EMP6
DEPT3 EMP7

if I want to group the rows by dept, do I have to select dept1 and group
them, and select dept2 and group... for every dept?

any better ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

If your new posting here was a continuation of your earlier posting, ie:

conditional formatting by groups

"kang" wrote in message
I have some groups and I want each group to have different color(not
necessarily distinct).

then perhaps try this sample which illustrates one way
to apply CF in the manner desired:

http://savefile.com/files/259026
CF to color rows for identical successive col A values.xls

--
Max
Singapore
"kang" wrote:
say:
DEPT1 EMP1
DEPT1 EMP2
DEPT1 EMP3
DEPT2 EMP4
DEPT2 EMP5
DEPT3 EMP6
DEPT3 EMP7

if I want to group the rows by dept, do I have to select dept1 and group
them, and select dept2 and group... for every dept?

any better ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Max,
Your test data is inadequate, as far as I know you would need
to create a column to keep track of the changes (fluctuations).

If your test data had been
Tree, Tree, Rose, Rose, Star, Star, Horse
you would have noticed that only Horse had a different color.

For a Conditional Formatting solution see
Color Grouping with alternating colors (#grouping)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...t.htm#grouping
--

"kang" wrote:
say:
DEPT1 EMP1
DEPT1 EMP2
DEPT1 EMP3
DEPT2 EMP4
DEPT2 EMP5
DEPT3 EMP6
DEPT3 EMP7

if I want to group the rows by dept, do I have to select dept1 and group
them, and select dept2 and group... for every dept?

any better ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

David,