Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Sendkeys alternative to help with XL Extras - Jim Cone

Oh Wise Ones,
I am using Jim Cones XL Extras add-in which does a
wonderful job of indexing all the worksheets of a workbook and creates a
table of contents with hyperlinks. What I would like is to be able execute
the index routine when a new sheet is added either automatically (1st choice)
or with a button (2nd Choice). I need the HR rep to be able to do this the
easiest possible way. She will be periodically adding sheets, so the index
will occasionally need updating. The table index is not available to be
added to a custom menu nor is it in a macro that I can access. The only
option I see as an vba rookie is to have a sendkeys macro that calls
alt,right arrow 4X(to the insert menu) then down arrow 5X. What can I do?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I tried that. The created macro was empty. Also, if I wanted to attach a
button, wouldn't that require me to put in in a module? Then I would need to
focus on the worksheet "table of contents" before the sendkey events. Sorry
for my vba prowess, but I am a quality technician improving some excel sheets
in my not-so-spare time.

Thanks,
Mike

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

I see....

First trying to turn on the Recorder and then call Cone's stuff from the
menu bar. It may capture the correct syntax for you

You can add more
Application.SendKeys "{DOWN}"
to get you to the proper place, to do the mouse click will require a
differenct API:

http://scriptorium.serve-it.nl/view.php?sid=44

--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200712

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Gary_S,
Jim has an add-in called "XL Extras" that adds an extra
item to the Insert menu called "Table of Contents". This executes the hidden
code to get the list of all worksheets in a workbook. Then creates, lists
them on a sheet called "Table of Contents. The 5th option down on the insert
menu is "Table of Contents" but it doesn't show up on the customize menu. So
I could only think of sendkeys to get me there. I didn't know the syntax for
the arrow keys.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

I am a bit confused. The following:

Sub mike_k()
Application.SendKeys "%{f}"
Application.SendKeys "{RIGHT}"
Application.SendKeys "{RIGHT}"
Application.SendKeys "{RIGHT}"
Application.SendKeys "{DOWN}"
Application.SendKeys "{DOWN}"
Application.SendKeys "{DOWN}"
DoEvents
End Sub

will get the user ready to insert a new worksheet, but you need to click the
mouse. You can't click with SendKeys. Why not just code a routine that will
1. perform the Sheets.Add
2. call the indexer?

How are you activating Cone's routine now??
--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200712

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mike,
Thanks for the kind comments. However, I don't understand the new problem.
The add-in creates a menu item on the Insert menu called "Table of Contents".
Why not just install the add-in on the HR reps computer?
When the menu item is clicked it adds the TOC or, if one already exists, asks
the user if they want to replace the existing one.
The program can also be activated by the keyboard with Alt + I, T and Y (if necessary).
You could use send keys to do the same - but why?
Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Mike K"
wrote in message
Oh Wise Ones,
I am using Jim Cones XL Extras add-in which does a
wonderful job of indexing all the worksheets of a workbook and creates a
table of contents with hyperlinks. What I would like is to be able execute
the index routine when a new sheet is added either automatically (1st choice)
or with a button (2nd Choice). I need the HR rep to be able to do this the
easiest possible way. She will be periodically adding sheets, so the index
will occasionally need updating. The table index is not available to be
added to a custom menu nor is it in a macro that I can access. The only
option I see as an vba rookie is to have a sendkeys macro that calls
alt,right arrow 4X(to the insert menu) then down arrow 5X. What can I do?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mike,
Further...
With the "Customize" window open and with the Ctrl key pressed,
you can drag the "Table of Contents" menu item to any menu or toolbar.
A copy of the menu item is created in the new location.
Note that any copied menu item is not recognized by the add-in during
uninstall and has to be manually deleted.
Jim Cone

wrote in message
Oh Wise Ones,
I am using Jim Cones XL Extras add-in which does a
wonderful job of indexing all the worksheets of a workbook and creates a
table of contents with hyperlinks. What I would like is to be able execute
the index routine when a new sheet is added either automatically (1st choice)
or with a button (2nd Choice). I need the HR rep to be able to do this the
easiest possible way. She will be periodically adding sheets, so the index
will occasionally need updating. The table index is not available to be
added to a custom menu nor is it in a macro that I can access. The only
option I see as an vba rookie is to have a sendkeys macro that calls
alt,right arrow 4X(to the insert menu) then down arrow 5X. What can I do?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am a bit confused. The following:

Sub mike_k()
Application.SendKeys "%{f}"
Application.SendKeys "{RIGHT}"
Application.SendKeys "{RIGHT}"
Application.SendKeys "{RIGHT}"
Application.SendKeys "{DOWN}"
Application.SendKeys "{DOWN}"
Application.SendKeys "{DOWN}"
DoEvents
End Sub

will get the user ready to insert a new worksheet, but you need to click the
mouse. You can't click with SendKeys. Why not just code a routine that will
1. perform the Sheets.Add
2. call the indexer?

How are you activating Cone's routine now??
--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200712

if function with extras. MARY Excel Worksheet Functions 2 June 13th 08 04:44 PM
Sendkeys alternative to help with XL Extras - Jim Cone Gary''s Student Excel Programming 0 March 27th 07 11:40 PM
Spacebar extras removal camelbreath Excel Worksheet Functions 3 March 19th 06 10:00 PM
Jim Cone Nigel Excel Programming 0 October 24th 05 04:53 AM
Alternative to SendKeys Garry Rathbone Excel Programming 1 July 28th 04 12:36 PM