Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel cannot complete this task......

On Mar 22, 11:14 am, Boblink wrote ....

Anne, thank you for your link. You are practical and pragmatic there.

Boblink I have virtually the identical affliction. It's been a
problem for a long time, and cost countless money and loss of lives
while MS has waxed impotently about it. I hope the Excel development
team sleeps well at night while this problem has existed for years.

In my case the crash happens at different times. I can open the file
and run the macro and have it crash the app. when 25% done; I can then
do EXACTLY the same thing and have it make it 55% of the way through.
I also have 1 Gig memory, which I am certain is not stressed outside
of Excel; and the .XLS is a single MEG. I thank the people who offer
well-meant responses of "you're short on memory. Try closing
Outlook." That's simply not the issue here.

Successive *pastes* appears to be the crux of the problem. One
tactical response is to add
Application.CutCopyMode = False
after pastes. This may help others; it didn't solve things for me,
but it apparently transformed the crashes to new mutations and new
timings. In the many hours I've bled researching this, over and over
I hear that pastes are flaky.

I have had vomitously choppy "success" from subdivide/conquer. To
illustrate: I have 1650 total values to calculate. 550 are displayed
on each page. There are 11 columns of 50 values each. If I divide
the problem into 33 tasks and manually run the macro 33 times, maybe 7
times out of 10 I can make it to the goal line, whereas I crash 100%
of the time if I run a single loop. Imagine the conversations I've
had with the company CEO. He says, "What do you mean, you simpleton?
You can't write a loop? Isn't that what I learned to do in BASIC 35
years ago??"

Divide and conquer is the only spitball I've found against this
Goliath.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Mar 23, 8:56 am, "AmendConstitution_ArnoldForPresident"
wrote:
[...]

I'm a little interested in what is going on here because I almost
don't believe you when you infer that "Excel can't do it." For
example, I have a macro that calculates well over 2,500 formulas and
keeps track of over another 60,000 other formulas (composed of 24
columns and 2,500 rows) which are all created via a macro. When I run
my macro, I don't crash.

I'm just trying to say that I'm interested in your problem. Do you
have any posts of your macro?

Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming

The code is a little unwieldy to completely post, but here's a taste
If gbDirtySheet Then cmdDoAccessQuery_Click
Application.Goto Reference:="SummaryDur1to25"
Selection.Copy
Application.Goto Reference:=sResultStartPoint
ActiveCell.Offset(0, i - 1).Range("A1").Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
Application.CutCopyMode = False 'hopefully corrects automation
bug in Excel
Application.Goto Reference:="SummaryDur26to50"
Selection.Copy
Application.Goto Reference:=sResultStartPoint
ActiveCell.Offset(12 * 25, i - 1).Range("A1").Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
Application.CutCopyMode = False 'hopefully corrects automation
bug in Excel

This never makes it through the 550 times I request it.

Sure, it's easy to write a billion operations, and it runs sweet.
Sub foo()
Dim i As Long
For i = 1 To 1000000000: If i Mod 10000000 = 0 Then Debug.Print i
Next
End Sub
But I don't think capacity or limits is the issue here...