Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming
AmendConstitution_ArnoldForPresident AmendConstitution_ArnoldForPresident is offline

Default Excel cannot complete this task......

On Mar 22, 11:14 am, Boblink wrote ....

Anne, thank you for your link. You are practical and pragmatic there.

Boblink I have virtually the identical affliction. It's been a
problem for a long time, and cost countless money and loss of lives
while MS has waxed impotently about it. I hope the Excel development
team sleeps well at night while this problem has existed for years.

In my case the crash happens at different times. I can open the file
and run the macro and have it crash the app. when 25% done; I can then
do EXACTLY the same thing and have it make it 55% of the way through.
I also have 1 Gig memory, which I am certain is not stressed outside
of Excel; and the .XLS is a single MEG. I thank the people who offer
well-meant responses of "you're short on memory. Try closing
Outlook." That's simply not the issue here.

Successive *pastes* appears to be the crux of the problem. One
tactical response is to add
Application.CutCopyMode = False
after pastes. This may help others; it didn't solve things for me,
but it apparently transformed the crashes to new mutations and new
timings. In the many hours I've bled researching this, over and over
I hear that pastes are flaky.

I have had vomitously choppy "success" from subdivide/conquer. To
illustrate: I have 1650 total values to calculate. 550 are displayed
on each page. There are 11 columns of 50 values each. If I divide
the problem into 33 tasks and manually run the macro 33 times, maybe 7
times out of 10 I can make it to the goal line, whereas I crash 100%
of the time if I run a single loop. Imagine the conversations I've
had with the company CEO. He says, "What do you mean, you simpleton?
You can't write a loop? Isn't that what I learned to do in BASIC 35
years ago??"

Divide and conquer is the only spitball I've found against this
Goliath.