Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
bac bac is offline

Default Pose questions to Microsoft when an answer is not forthcoming in g

I have a problem that does not seem to be attracting an answer in the group
discussions from MVP's or others.

Why can't there be a "refer question to Microsoft" option/button somewhere
for when this happens? Or an option to refer to a specific MVP who may have
more contacts and knowledge of individuals who may have an answer?

See discussion "VBA Code stops randomly" and note that the 1st time I
submitted this questin i got no replies, but now I'm mostly getting others
who have the same proble, but no suggestion as to cause or fix!

thanx
BAC

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...el.programming
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is not part of microsoft. It is a peer to peer forum where many of do
pro bono work. Sometimes, MS lurks around in the bushes. If you can't find
an answer here it's because you aren't explaining enough or you are
expecting someone to do a free project. Try again with a good subject line
and a full explanation.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"BAC" wrote in message
I have a problem that does not seem to be attracting an answer in the group
discussions from MVP's or others.

Why can't there be a "refer question to Microsoft" option/button somewhere
for when this happens? Or an option to refer to a specific MVP who may
have
more contacts and knowledge of individuals who may have an answer?

See discussion "VBA Code stops randomly" and note that the 1st time I
submitted this questin i got no replies, but now I'm mostly getting others
who have the same proble, but no suggestion as to cause or fix!

thanx
BAC

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...el.programming

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

the reason is that Microsoft doesn't offer free support. You can contact
microsoft and open a support incident and pay for support. If it turns out
that the cause is a bug in the product, then you will not have to pay.

the reaons you probably aren't getting support is that the cause is more
than likely something to do with your code construction and not a known flaw
in excel.

for instance, this statement seems problematic:
In the middle of the Excel portion of the VBA (the calling Access file has

been closed)

If the code is in Access, then if you close the file, it seems natural the
code would halt. - but you said it worked in earlier versions, so if
absolutely no changes have been made, it isn't obvious what would cause this,
but support for automation has not changed in Office XP. Also, I suspect
that even Microsoft would be hesitant to try to debug a user built
application that automates between two products just because of the
complexity (unless you describe a known situation - not all of these are
documented in the knowledge base).

Also, you have described your code a halting (which is one type of problem).
Yet later you refer to an error message, but never say what the error
message is. Experiencing an error is a much differnt situation than code
halting with no indication of why.

Tom Ogilvy

"BAC" wrote:

I have a problem that does not seem to be attracting an answer in the group
discussions from MVP's or others.

Why can't there be a "refer question to Microsoft" option/button somewhere
for when this happens? Or an option to refer to a specific MVP who may have
more contacts and knowledge of individuals who may have an answer?

See discussion "VBA Code stops randomly" and note that the 1st time I
submitted this questin i got no replies, but now I'm mostly getting others
who have the same proble, but no suggestion as to cause or fix!

thanx
BAC

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...el.programming

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
bac bac is offline

Default Pose questions to Microsoft when an answer is not forthcoming

Thanx Tom for your input, but 1st of all, apparently I am not the only one
having this problem (see the thread on "Let's try again: VBA Code stops
randomly");

secondly, when the code halts a dialog box appears stating "Code execution
has been
interrupted" with "Continue", "End", "Debug" buttons. This may not
technically "be an error", but it is "Not right". Selecting "Continue", or
selecting "Debug" and then F5 will continue execution normally to the next
randonm "Stop".

These stops could be anywhere along the program path and do not always occur
at the same point. For example in one run the program may stop at the call to
a function or sub, then at the start of a loop, then at a field calculation.
The next time it runs it may stop 10 times, but none of these stops at the
same places as in the previous run.

As for running code between applications, the KB has several examples of how
to open Access from Excel and vice versa, calling specific
macros/subs/functions. The current code begins in Access, then creates an
Object reference to Excel, opens a specific Excel Workbook and initiates code
within Excel, which pretty much begins by closing the Access database that
just called it then proceeds to execute. The "Before Close" even in that
Workbook then creates an object reference to Access, re-opens Access and
initiates code in Access which Closes the Excel workbook, then imports one
worksheet just created by the Excel subroutines. I've been using this type of
switch between apps since Office 97, and never had this kind of "Code
execution has been interupted" problem before.

I have experienced this "Error" when I've put Break Points in my code for
testing and then failed to remove them before saving. However, using the
Shift + F9 "Clear all breakpoints" and recompiling has always fixed this,
until now.

So, if you should come up with any other ideas or thoughts on what may be
causing this I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks again..
BAC

"BAC" wrote:

I have a problem that does not seem to be attracting an answer in the group
discussions from MVP's or others.

Why can't there be a "refer question to Microsoft" option/button somewhere
for when this happens? Or an option to refer to a specific MVP who may have
more contacts and knowledge of individuals who may have an answer?

See discussion "VBA Code stops randomly" and note that the 1st time I
submitted this questin i got no replies, but now I'm mostly getting others
who have the same proble, but no suggestion as to cause or fix!

thanx
BAC

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...el.programming

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
bac bac is offline

Thanx DO..

I understand the structure and philosophy of these discussion groups, but I
was under the impression that they were sort of "monitored" by MS Subject
Matter Experts and /or individuals who were on the development teams for
Excel (in this case, bu the other apps in their DG's). Maybe that was in
eons gone by!

I'm not sure how much clearer I can be in describing my problem. My Excel
VBA code stops at random spots and displays a dialog box that says "Code
execution has been interrupted"

Thanks again for your input
..

"BAC" wrote in message
I have a problem that does not seem to be attracting an answer in the group
discussions from MVP's or others.

Why can't there be a "refer question to Microsoft" option/button somewhere
for when this happens? Or an option to refer to a specific MVP who may
have
more contacts and knowledge of individuals who may have an answer?

See discussion "VBA Code stops randomly" and note that the 1st time I
submitted this questin i got no replies, but now I'm mostly getting others
who have the same proble, but no suggestion as to cause or fix!

thanx
BAC

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...el.programming

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This can happen when VBA's internal code storage area get screwed up. The
best solution is to Export all code to text files, delete all modules and
all code, then Import the text files. This will cause VBA to purge all its
internal code storage areas and start with a clean slate. Rob Bovey has a
excellent add-in that automates this whole process down to two or three
mouse clicks.

See http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

Rob's Code Cleaner is a "must have" add-in for any serious Excel
development.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"BAC" wrote:

I have a problem that does not seem to be attracting an answer in the
group
discussions from MVP's or others.

Why can't there be a "refer question to Microsoft" option/button
somewhere
for when this happens? Or an option to refer to a specific MVP who may
have
more contacts and knowledge of individuals who may have an answer?

See discussion "VBA Code stops randomly" and note that the 1st time I
submitted this questin i got no replies, but now I'm mostly getting
others
who have the same proble, but no suggestion as to cause or fix!

thanx
BAC

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...el.programming

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
bac bac is offline

YAY Chip!

That worked!

who'd a thunk?

Thanx a lot and I'm going to copy your post to my earlier thread related to
this issue so the others who posted they were having the same problem can
apply tour solution...

Thanx again!

"BAC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I downloaded Rob's tool (version 5.0) and it seems to have run without error
on my system. (I see the backup and export files in the directory) I even
tried the manual export and import of the modules/forms/etc. However, I
still experience the issue with the "Code Execution has been interrupted"
popup.

The only way I've found to get rid of this is to reboot my system. The
problem is, after rebooting I able to run only a few different VBE scripts
(most of which process large (100MB+) text files) before the problem comes
back. It seems it's a memory usage problem, that the memory used doesn't get
cleared when I'm done using the file. Is there a way to clear the memory
without restarting the comp?

FYI, I've got 3GB RAM and a Quad Processor.

Any help is appriacted.