Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Vlookup? Questions about answer I got??? Help, please.

So below, is the Answer and then the Question. I have a follow up on the
answer I recieved.

I understand thay you can use the Vlookup as described in the answer for
SHEET 2 BUT MY QUESTION was what about a different WORKBOOK, NOT SHEET???

Thank you.---

A VLOOKUP would work..

So, if you are on Sheet1 and the data is on sheet2...

Your product code is in column A of both and your text to return is in
column B of Sheet2, then in Sheet1, type:

=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A:B,2,0)

This will return the value in sheet2, column A that matches the value in A2
of Sheet1 and return the matching value from column B.

If your product is in column B and text is in A, it will not work. you must
start with the lookup value and return a value to the right of it.

"Dave" wrote:

Here is what I would like a formula to do???

I have two workbooks- I will place the formula only in one and extract
data/info. from the other.

What I want the formula to do is...
I want it to search through a column of product codes from the other
workbook (numbers, e.g. 21, 22) and when the desired code (let's say 21) is
detected. I want it to return the information (text info) from a different
column (I.E. transaction description) but the same row as the desired result
(21).

I have been messing with Vlookups and have had no luck. I'm thinking I
might need a nested if formula???

Any help would be awesome.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave
try
=VLOOKUP(A2,'[Your workbook.xls]Sheet2!A:B,2,0)

"Dave" wrote:

Here is what I would like a formula to do???

I have two workbooks- I will place the formula only in one and extract
data/info. from the other.

What I want the formula to do is...
I want it to search through a column of product codes from the other
workbook (numbers, e.g. 21, 22) and when the desired code (let's say 21) is
detected. I want it to return the information (text info) from a different
column (I.E. transaction description) but the same row as the desired result
(21).

I have been messing with Vlookups and have had no luck. I'm thinking I
might need a nested if formula???

Any help would be awesome.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The easiest way to enter cell ranges is to get Excel to do it. Then you
never have to worry about how to format an address which includes a
workbook, sheet, etc. Do the following:

1 In your target cell, type =Vlookup(
2 Click on the lookup cell (eg A2). Excel will insert the address in your
formula.
3 Type a comma
4 Click on the lookup range (eg columns A and B of the source workbook).
Excel will insert the properly formatted address of the range.
5 Type ,2,0) and enter.

Now you have your Vlookup formula, and you've never had to enter a cell
address.

Regards,
Fred.