Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eduardo Eduardo is offline

Default Vlookup? Questions about answer I got??? Help, please.

Hi Dave
try
=VLOOKUP(A2,'[Your workbook.xls]Sheet2!A:B,2,0)

"Dave" wrote:

So below, is the Answer and then the Question. I have a follow up on the
answer I recieved.

I understand thay you can use the Vlookup as described in the answer for
SHEET 2 BUT MY QUESTION was what about a different WORKBOOK, NOT SHEET???

Thank you.---

A VLOOKUP would work..

So, if you are on Sheet1 and the data is on sheet2...

Your product code is in column A of both and your text to return is in
column B of Sheet2, then in Sheet1, type:

=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A:B,2,0)

This will return the value in sheet2, column A that matches the value in A2
of Sheet1 and return the matching value from column B.

If your product is in column B and text is in A, it will not work. you must
start with the lookup value and return a value to the right of it.

"Dave" wrote:

Here is what I would like a formula to do???

I have two workbooks- I will place the formula only in one and extract
data/info. from the other.

What I want the formula to do is...
I want it to search through a column of product codes from the other
workbook (numbers, e.g. 21, 22) and when the desired code (let's say 21) is
detected. I want it to return the information (text info) from a different
column (I.E. transaction description) but the same row as the desired result
(21).

I have been messing with Vlookups and have had no luck. I'm thinking I
might need a nested if formula???

Any help would be awesome.