Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Deleting unwanted files

Using Excel 2000. Excel opens by preloading 6 files. I only want the
one file that I saved to xlstart. Using Windows Explorer I find only
the correct file in that location. The other files may be stored in a
temp file. I can't find where these files are located, so I can't
delete them. How can I stop these unwanted files from loading?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Anything selected under tools=Addins? If so, unselect them. Does that
solve the problem?

If not, where are you seeing the six files. In excel itself, or just in the
VBE?

Tom Ogilvy

"William" wrote:

Using Excel 2000. Excel opens by preloading 6 files. I only want the
one file that I saved to xlstart. Using Windows Explorer I find only
the correct file in that location. The other files may be stored in a
temp file. I can't find where these files are located, so I can't
delete them. How can I stop these unwanted files from loading?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

William

ToolsOptionsGeneral

Delete any path in "At start up, open all files in"

Or move the files out of that folder......most users prefer to have no path at
all.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 15 Feb 2007 11:48:03 -0800, "William" wrote:

Using Excel 2000. Excel opens by preloading 6 files. I only want the
one file that I saved to xlstart. Using Windows Explorer I find only
the correct file in that location. The other files may be stored in a
temp file. I can't find where these files are located, so I can't
delete them. How can I stop these unwanted files from loading?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"William" wrote:
Using Excel 2000. Excel opens by preloading 6 files. I only want the
one file that I saved to xlstart. Using Windows Explorer I find only
the correct file in that location. The other files may be stored in a
temp file. I can't find where these files are located, so I can't
delete them. How can I stop these unwanted files from loading?- Hide quoted text -

To Tom Ogilvy, Thank you for your reply. These files are in Excel,
they are not in Tools-addins. Upon opening Excel, I click on Windows
on the main menu and all 6 files are listed there as being open. Wm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Feb 15, 3:32 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
William

ToolsOptionsGeneral

Delete any path in "At start up, open all files in"

Or move the files out of that folder......most users prefer to have no path at
all.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 15 Feb 2007 11:48:03 -0800, "William" wrote:

Using Excel 2000. Excel opens by preloading 6 files. I only want the
one file that I saved to xlstart. Using Windows Explorer I find only
the correct file in that location. The other files may be stored in a
temp file. I can't find where these files are located, so I can't
delete them. How can I stop these unwanted files from loading?- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Gord, for your reply. My Options/General has only the
following:
Default file location: C:\Users\William\Documents
Alternate startup location: Blank
User name: Blank
More suggestions---- Please. Thanks, Wm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here are some other palces to look:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291218/en-us
How to use Excel startup folders in Excel 2002
(provides details for earlier versions as well)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328233/en-us
Excel unexpectedly opens one or more files at startup

Tom Ogilvy

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

William

ToolsOptionsGeneral

Delete any path in "At start up, open all files in"

Or move the files out of that folder......most users prefer to have no path at
all.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 15 Feb 2007 11:48:03 -0800, "William" wrote:

Using Excel 2000. Excel opens by preloading 6 files. I only want the
one file that I saved to xlstart. Using Windows Explorer I find only
the correct file in that location. The other files may be stored in a
temp file. I can't find where these files are located, so I can't
delete them. How can I stop these unwanted files from loading?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Some mo

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822107/
How to use startup folders in Excel
(also has links to other articles)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826922/en-us
How to prevent files from opening automatically in Excel 2003 and in Excel
2002

Tom Ogilvy