Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Deleting an unwanted AutoComplete entry

I have enabled AutoComplete for cell values so that Excel 2003 completes text
entries I start to type in a column of data. If the first few letters you
type match an existing entry in that column, Excel fills in the remaining
text for you. However, how do I delete an AutoComplete entry that I no longer
want and keep the rest?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Autocomplete works by inspecting the values in the cells surrounding the
activecell.

The only way I know to remove any value from those autocomplete suggestions is
to remove those values from the surrounding cells.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I just realized what you meant by cell values--sorry. I discovered a
workaround. If I type a space before the cell value that is causing the
autocomplete entry to appear, it stops it from appearing automatically while
still retaining it in the drop down list.

Arlene wrote:

I have enabled AutoComplete for cell values so that Excel 2003 completes text
entries I start to type in a column of data. If the first few letters you
type match an existing entry in that column, Excel fills in the remaining
text for you. However, how do I delete an AutoComplete entry that I no longer
want and keep the rest?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Careful with this Arlene.

An extra space in the cell will cause problems down the road when sorting,
filtering and other functions.

The cells prefaced with a space will sort before those without.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP