Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
WDP WDP is offline

Default Excel - Read-Only

I have an Excel file on an FTP Server.

Once a 2nd user opens this file.....I would expect this user to get a
"Read-only" message......but this is NOT happening.

I need the "read-only" message to pop-up IF the file is in use

Is there any type of code I can enter into my workbook to force this?

Thanks

Warren Phillips

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I asked the same question earlier today:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...d-ecd7d910974f

--
Gary's Student
gsnu200706

"WDP" wrote:

I have an Excel file on an FTP Server.

Once a 2nd user opens this file.....I would expect this user to get a
"Read-only" message......but this is NOT happening.

I need the "read-only" message to pop-up IF the file is in use

Is there any type of code I can enter into my workbook to force this?

Thanks

Warren Phillips

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
WDP WDP is offline

Thank you..Can you tell me "where" you put this code. Do you go into "TOOLS"
"MACRO" "VISUAL BASIC EDITOR"....and just past the code....or....is there any
other consideration in putting this code in.......I have very little
experience in dealing with VB Code

"WDP" wrote:

I have an Excel file on an FTP Server.

Once a 2nd user opens this file.....I would expect this user to get a
"Read-only" message......but this is NOT happening.

I need the "read-only" message to pop-up IF the file is in use

Is there any type of code I can enter into my workbook to force this?

Thanks

Warren Phillips

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=138621
XL: Macro Code to Check Whether a File Is Already Open

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=291295
XL2002: Macro Code to Check Whether a File Is Already Open

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=213383
XL2000: Macro Code to Check Whether a File Is Already Open

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=184982
WD97: VBA Function to Check If File or Document Is Open

Tom Ogilvy

"WDP" wrote in message
I have an Excel file on an FTP Server.

Once a 2nd user opens this file.....I would expect this user to get a
"Read-only" message......but this is NOT happening.

I need the "read-only" message to pop-up IF the file is in use

Is there any type of code I can enter into my workbook to force this?

Thanks

Warren Phillips

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It goes in a standard module:

1. from Excel touch ALT-F11 to open the VBE window
2. ALT-I
ALT-M to open a fresh module
3. Just paste the stuff in and close the VBE window
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200706