Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Size of Row

Hi,

Does anyone know of a quick way of working out how much data a row
contains?

I was hoping to be able to make an estimate of how big a workbook
could get.

Thanks,
Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A quick way of doing this is to add an if satement in column B
=if(a1 < "",1)

copy this formular all the way down column b

Then add a sum statement to the botom of column b. the sum will contain the
total number of non blank rows

" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know of a quick way of working out how much data a row
contains?

I was hoping to be able to make an estimate of how big a workbook
could get.

Thanks,
Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

" wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know of a quick way of working out how much data a row
contains?

I was hoping to be able to make an estimate of how big a workbook
could get.

Thanks,
Mark

I might need to be a bit more specific, sorry.

What I want to know is how much data (size in bytes) a row contains?
Does anyone know of an add-in that will tell me this?

I have a (potentially) very large spreadsheet and it would be good to
know how big it could get.

Thanks,
Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

instead of
=if(a1 < "",1)

use
=if(a1 < "",len(a1))

this will give tthe number of characters (bytes) in each cell for text
characters.

" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know of a quick way of working out how much data a row
contains?

I was hoping to be able to make an estimate of how big a workbook
could get.

Thanks,
Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi, please refine your query. A typical excel worksheet has 256 rows and
65,535 columns. Now, in what metric do you wish to find the volume of data ?
Is it in bits or bytes or KB or MB or number of characters per cell ?

" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know of a quick way of working out how much data a row
contains?

I was hoping to be able to make an estimate of how big a workbook
could get.

Thanks,
Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

" wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know of a quick way of working out how much data a row
contains?

I was hoping to be able to make an estimate of how big a workbook
could get.

Thanks,
Mark

Well, I don't really care whether it's bytes, KBs, bits.........they
all measure the same thing. I basically want to know the physical size
so that I can estimate by how much an excel workbook would grow.

My "typical" worksheet can have up to 32000 rows (self imposed limit)
and contains around 200 columns (although that may increase).

Let me know if that needs further refining.
Cheers,
Mark