Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro suffers from premature exiting

One of my macros, which has been working for years, now quits prematurely. It
will consistently quit about the 5th statement in on a activesheet.name command.
It executes the command, but then quits, with no error message. If I step past
this command, it will quit about 5 statements later on a copy command (after
executing it as well).

The project is 3 modules long, and about 1000 statements in each module. I've
exported each module to a .bas file, and reimported them, to hopefully get rid
of any fragmentation. There is no protection on the workbook.

I'm using XL2002 SP3 on Windows XP.

Any suggestions from the gurus?

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Fred,

A snippet of code would be helpful here just to be curious about it.
If it's been wokring for years, though, you might try running your
code through Rob Bovey's wonderful "CleanPorject" utility. It clears
up a lot of odd and inexplicable behvaior, particularly for long-used
(and long) VBA code. You can find it at:
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

= Marchand =

On Feb 11, 1:54 pm, "Fred Smith" wrote:
One of my macros, which has been working for years, now quits prematurely. It
will consistently quit about the 5th statement in on a activesheet.name command.
It executes the command, but then quits, with no error message. If I step past
this command, it will quit about 5 statements later on a copy command (after
executing it as well).

The project is 3 modules long, and about 1000 statements in each module. I've
exported each module to a .bas file, and reimported them, to hopefully get rid
of any fragmentation. There is no protection on the workbook.

I'm using XL2002 SP3 on Windows XP.

Any suggestions from the gurus?

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Marchand, I'll take a look at CleanProject.

The code starts out as follows:
Option Explicit
' About 30 Dims
Sub PrepareMeetingPackage()
' Format Holdings sheet
On Error Resume Next
ValueAsof = InputBox("Verify valuation as of date", , Date - 1)
If Err < 0 Then Exit Sub 'Cancel clicked
Set Book1 = ActiveWorkbook
ActiveSheet.Name = "Export" 'After executing this statement, the
macro quits
Range("C2").Select 'If I step around the above, macro
quits at next ActiveSheet
ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = True
On Error Resume Next
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Sheets("Sheet2").Delete
Sheets("Sheet3").Delete
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
On Error GoTo 0
Sheets.Add
ActiveSheet.Name = "Holdings" 'If I step around this statement, macro
quits at the copy
DLCol = Application.Match("Security", Sheets("Export").Range("1:1"), 0)
If IsError(DLCol) Then GoTo MissingData
Sheets("Export").Columns(DLCol).Copy Destination:=Columns("B")
' About 500 more lines of code which used to work
' Code in other modules has been changed recently, but not this one.

Fred

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Fred,

I you take out the "On Error Resume Next" statement, what VBA error
report do you see? Is it something as simple as a Worksheet named
"Export" already exists in the file?

= M =

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I found it!

It's got nothing to do with the existing macro, because it's worked hundreds of
times before, and I never changed it. So it had to be something else in the
project.

In another module, I added a function to determine whether a cell had a formula
in it. The function added was:

Function Overridden(cell As Range) As Boolean
Overridden = Not cell.Hasformula
End Function

As soon as I took this out, my PrepareMeetingPackage started working again.

While I'm curious why adding this function causes another macro in another
Module to quit prematurely, I don't really need to know. That's for Microsoft to
worry about. But I really would like to get this function working.

Can you see anything I'm doing wrong with this function?

Thanks for your help,
Fred.

Fred