Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Exiting Excel

The button to close the program in the top right hand corner is grayed out
and unusable. Consquently, I have to click FileExit in order to get out of
Excel. This is driving me crazy because I am in the habit of closing it by
clicking that button. I also dont' have the ability to right-click on the
program on the task bar and select close. That is disabled as well.

This problem only exists in Excel and is not dependent on whether I have
multiple workbooks open.

I am using Office 2000 in Windows XP SP2. Office has been reinstalled and
did not solve the problem.

I cannot find documentation for this on the web or within the program and
the IT department can't seem to figure out the solution. I thought that
someone out in cyberspace may have an answer.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are using using Groupwise?

If that's the problem. See this MSKB article

Article is specific for 2000 but I think it is valid for other versions.

It gives a workaround (use the file menu) and instructions as to how to remove
the Groupwise add-in that is responsible for this behavior.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP