Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Architecture Question

I have an application that I am going to build which will manage a table of
Contacts (about 75) and then Account Statements for those contacts. For
various reasons, I am going to build this in Excel.

My question is this. Would it make more sense to build a single workbook
with a worksheet for each contact, or would it make more sense to build a
workbook with the basic stuff in it, and then create a seperate workbook for
each contact?

Either way, I will be building a "home" page with buttons for all of the
operations and navigational stuff.

Thanks,
Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would do it in a single workbook with sheets for each company, just for
ease of use, transportation etc
--
-John Northwest11
is helpful.

"Steve Haack" wrote:

I have an application that I am going to build which will manage a table of
Contacts (about 75) and then Account Statements for those contacts. For
various reasons, I am going to build this in Excel.

My question is this. Would it make more sense to build a single workbook
with a worksheet for each contact, or would it make more sense to build a
workbook with the basic stuff in it, and then create a seperate workbook for
each contact?

Either way, I will be building a "home" page with buttons for all of the
operations and navigational stuff.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

From experience I would be inclined to keep all of the source data together
on a single (or handfull of) sheets. Then create (one or more) report sheets
based on that source data such that you can change the contact and the report
will reflect the approproate info for that contact. Using lookups, pivot
tables and sumproducts you can normally come up with a very workable solution
that is flexible and dynamic.

The problem with with have 75 seperate sheets or workbooks is then linking
all of the data back together to get any kind of a summary. It is relatively
easy to split the data from one (or a handfull of) sheets apart but combining
data from 75 sheets or books is a pain.

In short try to architect it like a database using database concepts and
things will fall into place... Just My Two Cents...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson