Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

Default C#/Excel automation add-in not working on MediaCenter?

I have written a simple Excel automation add-in using c#. It works
fine on my WinXP PC, but does not work on my MediaCenter PC. The
sympton is that the add-in is shown in the add-in list but all the
functions are not available (i.e. when you open the function help
dialoug, these functions are not displayed, actually even the assembly
is not shown in the category.)

I have tried (1) recompile the code on the MediaCenter, (2) manually
register the code compiled on XP, (3) run a setup program created using
visual studio. None of them worked.

I guess there may be something specific on the MediaCenter machine or
some Excel configuration (e.g. security etc). But I just couldn't
figure it out. Any suggestions and recommendations, or even wildest
guess, are welcomed.

My environment: Visual Studio 2005, Excel 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

BTW, I have also tried sign my assembly, didn't work either.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

My interest,

I would rather point the fingers to the environment. Did you verify if all
support assemblies you are using - or COM objects - are properly installed
and have the same version as you have on the XP machine.

In fact, Media Center it's almost the same Windows (to not say the same) as
the XP. It only has the Media Center application added to the system. As
well as a notepad application.

If you are using VSTO, make sure everything looks the same as your XP
machine.

I hope it helps.

Robson Siqueira
Enterprise Architect
"My interest" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have written a simple Excel automation add-in using c#. It works
fine on my WinXP PC, but does not work on my MediaCenter PC. The
sympton is that the add-in is shown in the add-in list but all the
functions are not available (i.e. when you open the function help
dialoug, these functions are not displayed, actually even the assembly
is not shown in the category.)

I have tried (1) recompile the code on the MediaCenter, (2) manually
register the code compiled on XP, (3) run a setup program created using
visual studio. None of them worked.

I guess there may be something specific on the MediaCenter machine or
some Excel configuration (e.g. security etc). But I just couldn't
figure it out. Any suggestions and recommendations, or even wildest
guess, are welcomed.

My environment: Visual Studio 2005, Excel 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Finally I figured it out. It's because excel.exe.config is missing so
Excel does not recognize .NET 2.0 based Add-In and has silently failed
to load my Add-In

On Jan 27, 2:22 pm, "Robson Siqueira" wrote:
My interest,

I would rather point the fingers to the environment. Did you verify if all
support assemblies you are using - or COM objects - are properly installed
and have the same version as you have on the XP machine.

In fact, Media Center it's almost the same Windows (to not say the same) as
the XP. It only has the Media Center application added to the system. As
well as a notepad application.

If you are using VSTO, make sure everything looks the same as your XP
machine.

I hope it helps.

Robson Siqueira
Enterprise Architect"My interest" wrote in oglegroups.com...

I have written a simple Excel automation add-in using c#. It works
fine on my WinXP PC, but does not work on my MediaCenter PC. The
sympton is that the add-in is shown in the add-in list but all the
functions are not available (i.e. when you open the function help
dialoug, these functions are not displayed, actually even the assembly
is not shown in the category.)

I have tried (1) recompile the code on the MediaCenter, (2) manually
register the code compiled on XP, (3) run a setup program created using
visual studio. None of them worked.

I guess there may be something specific on the MediaCenter machine or
some Excel configuration (e.g. security etc). But I just couldn't
figure it out. Any suggestions and recommendations, or even wildest
guess, are welcomed.

My environment: Visual Studio 2005, Excel 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

Robson Siqueira wrote:
My interest,

I would rather point the fingers to the environment. Did you verify if all
support assemblies you are using - or COM objects - are properly installed
and have the same version as you have on the XP machine.

In fact, Media Center it's almost the same Windows (to not say the same) as
the XP. It only has the Media Center application added to the system. As
well as a notepad application.

I don't think that is the case entirely. There are other things added
to the system, typically by integrators such as dell. My system came
with way too many extra MCE add-ins. Those add-ins could potentially
introduce incompatibilities.

And of course, MCE comes with .NET framework.

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am not a Microsoft insider. But what I heard was, the different
version of Windows all had the same binary code. The only difference
is the configuration (e.g. during the installation, registry etc)

On Jan 27, 9:06 pm, Frank Rizzo wrote:
Robson Siqueira wrote:
My interest,

I would rather point the fingers to the environment. Did you verify if all
support assemblies you are using - or COM objects - are properly installed
and have the same version as you have on the XP machine.

In fact, Media Center it's almost the same Windows (to not say the same) as
the XP. It only has the Media Center application added to the system. As
well as a notepad application.I don't think that is the case entirely. There are other things added