Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Using Excel with automation

Hi all,

We have an app that transfers data to Excel using automation, this has been
working fine with both Excel 2000, Excel 2003 and Excel 2007. Before we
start the transfer we connect to Excel to make sure that it is installed an
to determain what version is installed. After this check is done we
immediately disconnect again.

Seens about a month ago doing this causes Excel to crash with the following
error in the Event viewer
Faulting application EXCEL.EXE, version 12.0.6425.1000, time stamp
0x49d64dd6, faulting module mso.dll, version 12.0.6425.1000, time stamp
0x49d65443, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0016aa63, process id
0x1bb4, application start time 0x01c9cfbb0a8c9a2c.

Later when we do the actual transfer we connect again and this time Excel
does not crash and the transfer is completed successfully.

Our app is written in Powerbuilder but I don't think that matters.

Does anyone have a suggestion where to start looking?

TIA
Thomas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you quitting the instance of theExcel application before you're
disconnecting in PB? Just disconnecting will leave an active session object
out in memory.
--
Kevin Backmann
Dallas, TX

"Thomas Bodell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I googled the following: "EXCEL.EXE Faulting application mso.dll" and got
quite a few relevant tips. Some were related to service pack updates, others
to display driver conflicts and still others that had tinkering with the
registry.

Don't know if any of the the links will be directly relevant but it's worth
a try.
--
Kevin Backmann
Dallas, TX