Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel will not open

I'm not sure what I've done or how to fix it. But, I added the
following to a macro:

Application.Visible = False
UserForm1.Show
Application.Visible = True

I was attempting to hide the worksheets behind the form, it seemed to
work OK until I clicked on a button that was to copy values from
various comboboxes and textboxes to a sheet and perform a print
preview. (which worked perfectly until I added the above code.)

Once I hit the button, excel shut down on me and now the workbook will
not open, as if the 'application.visible = false' is still running. If
I open Microsoft Excel, a blank sheet, then open my workbook, it will
open. But, when I go to the code, it's not there? Can anyone clue me
in on what I did? And is there a way to fix it? Also, I copied this
now open file and saved it to another name, but still won't open when
it's doubled clicked...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Additional note, as I'm researching this problem I see I can no longer
open any excel file by double clicking on it. It will open if I open
Excel App first, then access the file(s) via the File Open button.
Again, any thoughts on this would be great....

Gimp wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, I checked Task Manager before but only the application list.
excel.exe was still running as a process, ended it and it all seems OK
now. Thanks

But, one thing, when I check for this nasty code, it was no longer in
the macro. I assume that is because when excel shut down it did not
save my changes? Yes?

Again, thanks for you very quick response...

And...yes, I'm not as season'd as I wanna be.....

Jim Thomlinson wrote:
Close XL and take a look in your task manager and see if there is still an
instance of XL running (the instance that you set to not be visible where
your workbook may still be open). Just because you can not see it does not
mean that it is not still there. IMO the type of code you are attempting when
you hide the application is very dangerous and should only be attempted by
the well seasoned VBA coder with a lot of experience and knowledge.

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Gimp" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

Rob Bruce published a bit of vbs script that enables you to get that hidden
application back. Too late now but if it happens again it will help you.

bw

Tim

' === Begin script ===============
' from Rob Bruce
Dim objXL, strMessage
On Error Resume Next
Set objXL = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")
If Not TypeName(objXL) = "Empty" Then
strMessage = "Excel Running."
Else
strMessage = "Excel Not Running."
End If
MsgBox strMessage, vbInformation, "Excel Status"
if strMessage = "Excel Running." then objXL.Visible = true
' === End script ===============

ps.com...

"Gimp" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks to all that 'chimmed' in and helpped out. I am new at working
with VBA let aone with a user form. I must say however with the
assistance of many on this group I've made good progress (i'm demoing
what I have so far today..).

Anyway, I was attempting to 'hide' the sheets from the back ground
before the app crashed. What I ended up doing is using .xlveryhidden
on 3 of the 4 sheets, when the workbook is opened. Only one sheet
shows when the book is open. That sheet just has our company logo that
is linked to a macro. When clicked it runs my splash screen and sets
the 3 sheets visible = true. Now when the user form is shown, I made
it bigger to cover most of the screen, two comboboxes have a
worksheet.active to 'get the data' and I proceed with the form, which
include mostly textboxes and math calcs. When the form is closed, via
a button, the 3 sheets are set to .xlveryhidden again.

Maybe not as graceful as you experts would put together, but for me it
seems to do the trick. Does anyone see a problem or potential issue
with this configuration?

(by the way, after my demo today I'm sure I'm going to end up with a
laundry list of things to add...)

Tom Ogilvy wrote:
You are correct in your perceptions. When you forced excel to close in the
task manager, it doesn't not close gracefully as they say - workbooks were
closed without saving changes.

Tom Ogilvy