Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default differrent fonts on parts of text

Unless my memory is really failing me, I seem to recall the ability to
change the format on only part of the text in a cell, such as underlining
the last few words, or making some of it blue font, etc, etc. I don't seem
to be able to do that lately and I am wondering why. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Manually or progammatically?

With text in a cell hit F2.

Select the potion to color and/or underline then format that portion.

OR play with this macro.

Sub CellFont()
With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=1, length:=5).Font
.ColorIndex = 3
.Bold = True
.Underline = True
.Size = 14
End With
With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=6, length:=3).Font
.Superscript = True
.ColorIndex = 5
End With
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:23:04 -0800, "Dean" wrote:

Unless my memory is really failing me, I seem to recall the ability to
change the format on only part of the text in a cell, such as underlining
the last few words, or making some of it blue font, etc, etc. I don't seem
to be able to do that lately and I am wondering why. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I definitely meant manually. When, I hit F2, and change some of it to blue
font, I see the blue font, but as soon as I hit enter, or escape, it goes
away. In fact, if I hit F2 again, after that, the blue font shows again in
the edit mode, as if it remembers that I set it to blue font! But, once
again, when I hit enter, it is gone. I don't ever recall having this
problem in the past. Could I be in some weird editing mode I don't know
about?

wrote:

Unless my memory is really failing me, I seem to recall the ability to
change the format on only part of the text in a cell, such as underlining
the last few words, or making some of it blue font, etc, etc. I don't
seem
to be able to do that lately and I am wondering why. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In my latest case, it was all red fonted, and I wanted the 2nd half to be
blue. When I hit F2 it would turn blue, apparently remembering from my
prior attempts, but when I hit enter, it would go back to red. I did edit
clear formats and I noticed that it got rid of the red font on the first
part but the second part turned to blue, almost as if it thought blue was
the default font. Does this make any sense?

wrote:

Unless my memory is really failing me, I seem to recall the ability to
change the format on only part of the text in a cell, such as underlining
the last few words, or making some of it blue font, etc, etc. I don't
seem
to be able to do that lately and I am wondering why. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dean

It doesn't make sense that the blue part would remain even after
EditClearFormats but..............

I tested and found this to be the case.

My results are...

qwerty asdfgh in a cell formatted to red font.

F2 and select asdfgh and change to blue then ENTER. Now I have red and blue
fonts in the cell.

EditClearFormats.............the red goes away but the blue remains.

I can't figure out why the blue font remains when you clear formats.

Probably a simple answer but we'll have to wait for another responder.

Gord

wrote:

Unless my memory is really failing me, I seem to recall the ability to
change the format on only part of the text in a cell, such as underlining
the last few words, or making some of it blue font, etc, etc. I don't
seem
to be able to do that lately and I am wondering why. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A partial answer, I think, is when you clear formats effectively what occurs
is a paste special formats from the Normal style. IOW clear formats doesn't
directly apply Automatic colorindex.

It seems with mixed formats only characters as far as the first mixed
character will change as expected in a pastespecial, whether from the Normal
style with clear formats or copied from any other cell in the usual way.

Regards,
Peter T

wrote:

Unless my memory is really failing me, I seem to recall the ability to
change the format on only part of the text in a cell, such as

underlining
the last few words, or making some of it blue font, etc, etc. I don't
seem
to be able to do that lately and I am wondering why. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth:

I am running XP Pro. Tried it myself. Same result. Apparently MS's code, in
their EditClearFormats section, only stores the first character color as a
"base" font color for the entire cell. It does not store the entire cell
format, which might include ActiveCell.Characters alteration. Note: Color
all the letters, as you suggested, with red, leaving only the "q" blue. The
color remains blue as a "base" font color. Change the "base" font color, it
changes both the "base" and the ActiveCell.Characters color. Now I know to
throw in a .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic, if necessary, to reset the "base"
font color.

Never use F2 myself; all it really does is stick the cursor in the formula
bar, lol, I'm a mouseman :)

Alan

"The only dumb question is a question left unasked."
"Have you made someone smile today?"

wrote:

Unless my memory is really failing me, I seem to recall the ability to
change the format on only part of the text in a cell, such as
underlining
the last few words, or making some of it blue font, etc, etc. I don't
seem
to be able to do that lately and I am wondering why. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Though all this is interesting, I stumbled upon it as I was trying to clear
up the subject of my first post, which was that I could not add a second
color font onto the 2nd half of test in a cell. It recognized the color
until I hit enter. Does anyone know why that sometimes occurs? I
assume it is related to all this stuff.

Thanks!
Dean