Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Can I update vbaproject.bin in a package?

You should redesign the package so the data is in a separate workbook, and
the code is in an add-in. This allows you to (a) use a single version of the
program with independent sets of data, and (b) update the code without
worrying about any of the data. It is possible to update the code in a
workbook, but it is complicated and requires certain permissions to access
the VB projects.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"geotelwoman" wrote in message
I would like to change the VBA programming in a workbook without touching
the
data. Can this be done by changing the vbaProject.com component within the
package?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This sounds like what I want to do and the right direction for me to take,
but I'm not familiar with 'add-in's. I'm pretty much a novice. Where can I
learn more about add-ins?

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could Google 'Excel add-in' and find a variety of tutorials. Read a
couple and experiment.

Basically, an add-in is an Excel workbook, containing sheets. It is not
visible in the Excel window, so a user can't access the sheets, but its code
is available. The best thing to do is build one or more commandbars or menus
that activate the add-in's programs. Any program can still access the data
in the sheets, so you can place information there. One trick is to make a
table containing menu parameters, so the add-in can build the menus it
needs. Editing the table is much easier than editing hard coded menu
parameters. Here's a page that gives instructions and an example for this
kind of featu

- Jon
-------

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just some additional thoughts.

I would suggest this link for information on Addins:

http://www.jkp-ads.com/articles/DistributeMacro00.htm

Although based on a cursory look, I can't get too excited about the tutorial
at http://www.excel-vba.com/excel-vba-contents.htm

Dave McRitchie's site:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...m#vbatutorials

has links to other tutorials and information related to Excel VBA.

http://web.archive.org/web/200312040...01/default.asp

is also linked in Dave McRitchies link
Tom Ogilvy