Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Best package to make COM add-in

Using VBA Userforms or VB Forms depends on what you want to do.
I prefer VB Forms because those can be directly import into VB .NET and
converted to Windows Forms in .NET.
It is possible/likely(?) that MSFT may provide a future tool for converting
VBA Userforms to .NET Windoze Forms, but that's just a guess.

Using VB, instead of VBA, also allows one to use some features of VB 6 that
are not available in VBA for Office 97, so one can more easily code for ALL
windows versions of Office.

For example, see
http://www.standards.com/Sorting/Sor...scription.html.
which describes a VB 6 .exe that uses both Excel and Word in Office 97 and
up.
--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
"RB Smissaert" wrote in message
OK, one more in favour of VB6.
Any arguments for this?
How about my question about the userforms and if working with Office
Developer
generally would be easier?

RBS

"Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
I agree that VB 6 is best.

VSTO only works with Office 2003.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
"Chip Pearson" wrote in message
The Visual Studio Tools For Office requires that you have Visual
Studio 2003 installed. For writing COM Add-Ins, VB6 is best (you
can do it in VBNET, but this would require that you distribute
the NET runtime -- about 20MB -- to each user), but Office XP
Developer will do the job.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"RB Smissaert" wrote in message
Trying to figure out what the best way is to make a COM add-in.
It only will
have to work with Excel.
I understand you will need either VB6 (or one of the other
types of VB) or
Office Developer for this.
I would like to make a COM add-in based on a .xla add-in that
has already
been developed.

Now I am not sure if this is true, but I understand that this
would be
easier to do with Office Developer.
I understand that Office Developer XP is still available and
that this will
cost around £330, but there is now
also something called Visual Studio Tools for Office 2003. I
work in Office
2003. Would this be the package to go for (Visual Studio Tools
for Office
2003) or would Office XP Developer be fine? Then again if I
would go with
Office XP Developer could I keep using Office 2003?

Quite a few confusing issues and I would be greatful for any
advice.

RBS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK, I can see the advantages of VB6 now for future projects, but with a
large existing add-in to convert with several VBA userforms I presume using
Office Developer would be easier.
Is it true that the VBA userforms (from Excel) can be used directly in
Office Developer to make the COM add-in?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, you can import VBA userforms from an XLA project to a VBA
Project. Just drag the form from one project to the other.

--
[...]

"RB Smissaert" wrote

in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks. To make it 100% clear then:
This is something that can't be done with VB6, so Office Developer would
have the advantage there.

RBS

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That is true. As far as I know, you can't import existing VBA
userforms in to VB6; therefore, Office Developer would have that
advantage for converting existing XLA projects to VBA Projects.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks.
Will probably opt for Office Developer then. I understand there is no such
thing for
Office 2003, so it will have to be Office Developer XP. I understand that
this is still
available.

RBS

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can "import" VBA Userforms to VB, but, and that's a big BUTT, the
Userforms get imported as "Designers".
Test for your self by creating a simple VB 6 project and then importing a
VBA Userform.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Chip Pearson" wrote in message
That is true. As far as I know, you can't import existing VBA
userforms in to VB6; therefore, Office Developer would have that
advantage for converting existing XLA projects to VBA Projects.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

This isnt strictly speaking true.

You can export a form from VBA and then import it
into VS6 using the Add File dialog

The form comes in as a designer . They normally
work OK but you cant edit them properly
in VB6 and they can be a little unpredictable.

Personally I avoid it and redo the form

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Howard,

You're right. I had forgotten about that. I did it some years ago
and found the results less than satisfactory.