Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Etiquette for borrowing code from a post by Harald Staff

Some time ago I found and used a piece of VBA code posted by Harald Staff
(Listmyfiles).
The code is more advanced than I am able to write, but I did get the gist.
It lists the directory and subdirectory contents on a worksheet.

This week I modified the code to solve a different problem I was having.
The modified code now concatenates multiple text files into one MSWord
document.
(This has solved a problem I had with importing VCard files for what it is
worth.)

The modified code would be useful to other users of the freeware PIM
(EssentialPim) I am using. I would therefore like to post it on the
support forum.

I will not do this unless it is acceptable to do so.
I would also like a form of words to properly identify the real source of
the code.

any advice please.

Cheers Rob
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Code posted to newsgroups like this is generally considered to be given to
the Public Domain (that's the legal theory used by Google Groups and the
erstwhile DejaNews to get around any copyright issues involved in archiving
and redistributing newsgroup posts for profit). The author is assumed to
have given up any intellectual property rights to the content of the post.
That's the theory at least, I don't how it would be strictly interpreted by
statute.

As a matter of general courtesy, though, you should give credit to the
original author in your code and/or related documentation.

As an aside, I state explicitly on my web site that all formulas and code on
the site is given to the Public Domain (although the accompanying
descriptive text is not).

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks all for your comments. I will take them on board.

Cheer Rob