Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Easy Sorting for Senior mgt

Hello everyone, I'm setting up a metrics spreadsheet with many columns.
The spreadsheet has business data for 2006 and 2005. Also the variance
between the two. To make life easier for Senior Management I need to
provide a way for them to sort the data with minimal steps. Any
suggestions? The spreadsheet only has 48 columns and they need the
ability to sort on any of these columns.

Thanks for any help and suggestions in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'd add a commandbutton that sorted based on selection.column. That
way, they select the column they want (or they select a cell in the
column they want), click "sort" and bob's your uncle.

But I'm having trouble imagining something much simpler than the
regular Sort tool.

If you want something REALLY simple, you could set something up that
copies the spreadsheet across 48 sheets, each one named for a column,
and sorts it by that column, then stick a userform or something that
will activate the sheet they want and hide all the other ones.

Just a couple of ideas...

Tsunami3169 wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm setting up a metrics spreadsheet with many columns.
The spreadsheet has business data for 2006 and 2005. Also the variance
between the two. To make life easier for Senior Management I need to
provide a way for them to sort the data with minimal steps. Any
suggestions? The spreadsheet only has 48 columns and they need the
ability to sort on any of these columns.

Thanks for any help and suggestions in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is one way assuming that row 1 is headings.

Double-click the heading cell and it will sort by that column

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As
Boolean)
Const WS_RANGE As String = "A1:M1" '<== change to suit

Me.Range(WS_RANGE).EntireColumn.Sort _
key1:=Target, order1:=xlAscending, header:=xlYes

'code module. To do this, right-click

--
---
HTH

Bob

oups.com...

Tsunami3169 wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm setting up a metrics spreadsheet with many columns.
The spreadsheet has business data for 2006 and 2005. Also the variance
between the two. To make life easier for Senior Management I need to
provide a way for them to sort the data with minimal steps. Any
suggestions? The spreadsheet only has 48 columns and they need the
ability to sort on any of these columns.

Thanks for any help and suggestions in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you're using xl2003, you can use the dropdown arrow from data|filter to
choose to sort. But it's not automatic.

You may want to try this method from Debra Dalgleish's site:
http://contextures.com/xlSort02.html

Tsunami3169 wrote:

Hello everyone, I'm setting up a metrics spreadsheet with many columns.
The spreadsheet has business data for 2006 and 2005. Also the variance
between the two. To make life easier for Senior Management I need to
provide a way for them to sort the data with minimal steps. Any
suggestions? The spreadsheet only has 48 columns and they need the
ability to sort on any of these columns.

Thanks for any help and suggestions in advance.

--

Dave Peterson