Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default A senior citizen needs help with a formular

Unfortunatly my old brain is not what it used to be. My problem is that I
need to make up a simple formular that will allow me to enter different
amounts in a cell multiple times and get the answer as follows. I need a
figure that After deducting 10% to one cell and 20% in another cell the
answer will come back with what I put in the first cell. In other word a
reverse formular.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Please state the cells you are actually using, rather than "in one
cell", and "another cell". Also, it would help if you give a few
examples of what you will enter and what you want to show from that,
as I'm not really sure what it is that you want to achieve.

Pete

On Sep 18, 12:09*pm, Derro wrote:
Unfortunatly my old brain is not what it used to be. My problem is that I
need to make up a simple formular that will allow me to enter different
amounts in a cell multiple times and get the answer as follows. I need a
figure that After deducting 10% to one cell and 20% in another cell the
answer will come back with what I put in the first cell. In other word a
reverse formular.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Derro wrote:
Unfortunatly my old brain is not what it used to be. My problem is that I
need to make up a simple formular that will allow me to enter different
amounts in a cell multiple times and get the answer as follows. I need a
figure that After deducting 10% to one cell and 20% in another cell the
answer will come back with what I put in the first cell. In other word a
reverse formular.

If you want the answer in cell A4 to be the same as what you put in the
first cell, say A1, then just put the following formula in A4:

=A1

If that's not what your looking for, please explain in more detail with
an example of the actual numbers you are using and the actual number you
are looking for.

Bill
(another senior citizen)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you David Pete & Bill
I was remiss in not being clearer. The formula is to work out a retail sell
figure for goods that are sold at our community store. Local people bring
there home made goods in and say "I want X amount per item." Lets for
example say they want a $10 return. What we then have to do is work out what
figure we need to sell the goods for so that the local hospital get 20% of
the retail sell price and the organisation who are housing the store get 10%
of the same retail sell price. And of course the local get there $10.
Obviously the figure is going to be larger than the $10 but how do we arrive
at that figure. After the sale it is easy to work out what the percentage is
for the two organisations but whats left must equal the $10.
Hope thats clearer and thanks to all
Derro

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=A2/((1-10%)*(1-20%))
--
David Biddulph

"Derro" wrote in message
Unfortunatly my old brain is not what it used to be. My problem is that I
need to make up a simple formular that will allow me to enter different
amounts in a cell multiple times and get the answer as follows. I need a
figure that After deducting 10% to one cell and 20% in another cell the
answer will come back with what I put in the first cell. In other word a
reverse formular.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Always much easier if you say what you mean!

=A2/(1-30%)
--
David Biddulph

"Derro" wrote in message
[...]

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=A2/((1-10%)*(1-20%))
--
David Biddulph

"Derro" wrote in message
Unfortunatly my old brain is not what it used to be. My problem is that
need to make up a simple formular that will allow me to enter different
amounts in a cell multiple times and get the answer as follows. I need
figure that After deducting 10% to one cell and 20% in another cell the
answer will come back with what I put in the first cell. In other word
reverse formular.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

HOLD THE BOAT!! THANKS DAVID I JUST MANAGED TO APPLY YOUR FORMULA AND IT IS
JUST WHAT I NEED THANK YOU ALL

"Derro" wrote:

Thank you David Pete & Bill
I was remiss in not being clearer. The formula is to work out a retail sell
figure for goods that are sold at our community store. Local people bring
there home made goods in and say "I want X amount per item." Lets for
example say they want a $10 return. What we then have to do is work out what
figure we need to sell the goods for so that the local hospital get 20% of
the retail sell price and the organisation who are housing the store get 10%
of the same retail sell price. And of course the local get there $10.
Obviously the figure is going to be larger than the $10 but how do we arrive
at that figure. After the sale it is easy to work out what the percentage is
for the two organisations but whats left must equal the $10.
Hope thats clearer and thanks to all
Derro

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=A2/((1-10%)*(1-20%))
--
David Biddulph

"Derro" wrote in message
Unfortunatly my old brain is not what it used to be. My problem is that I
need to make up a simple formular that will allow me to enter different
amounts in a cell multiple times and get the answer as follows. I need a
figure that After deducting 10% to one cell and 20% in another cell the
answer will come back with what I put in the first cell. In other word a
reverse formular.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Pete
your right It was not that clear, where a bit foggy here down under.
However David
managed to come up with the answer so all is now well.

On Sep 18, 12:09 pm, Derro wrote:
Unfortunatly my old brain is not what it used to be. My problem is that I
need to make up a simple formular that will allow me to enter different
amounts in a cell multiple times and get the answer as follows. I need a
figure that After deducting 10% to one cell and 20% in another cell the
answer will come back with what I put in the first cell. In other word a
reverse formular.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Bill you were right after re reading my requestI agree it was a
little hard to understand. I re did the request under David then managed to
apply his formula and now all is good down under thank you again
Derro

"Bill Sharpe" wrote:

Derro wrote:
Unfortunatly my old brain is not what it used to be. My problem is that I
need to make up a simple formular that will allow me to enter different
amounts in a cell multiple times and get the answer as follows. I need a
figure that After deducting 10% to one cell and 20% in another cell the
answer will come back with what I put in the first cell. In other word a
reverse formular.

If you want the answer in cell A4 to be the same as what you put in the
first cell, say A1, then just put the following formula in A4:

=A1

If that's not what your looking for, please explain in more detail with
an example of the actual numbers you are using and the actual number you
are looking for.

Bill
(another senior citizen)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know which of my formulae you decided you needed?
My original =A2/((1-10%)*(1-20%)) would have been OK if somebody got 10% of
the original selling price and then somebody else got 20% of what was left
after that 10% deduction (or vice versa).
My later =A2/(1-30%) was when you changed the requirement and said that you
wanted to take "20% of the retail sell price" and "10% of the same retail
sell price".
Make sure that you decide what it is that you really need.
--
David Biddulph

"Derro" wrote:

[...]

"David Biddulph" wrote: