Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel Spreadsheets to Access Database

I knowe that I can import a spreadsheet into Access to become a database. At
my work we currently use numerous spreadsheets to track different types of
data. I'd like to consolidate this into one area with one interface for ease
of use. Is it possible to import several spreadsheets into thus building one
database, which is accessed with one GUI?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes. After you import the data into Access you can build forms, queries and
reports in Access based on your tables and or queries.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"bill_a" wrote:
I knowe that I can import a spreadsheet into Access to become a database.
At
my work we currently use numerous spreadsheets to track different types of
data. I'd like to consolidate this into one area with one interface for
ease
of use. Is it possible to import several spreadsheets into thus building
one
database, which is accessed with one GUI?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Per bill_a:
At
my work we currently use numerous spreadsheets to track different types of
data. I'd like to consolidate this into one area with one interface for ease
of use. Is it possible to import several spreadsheets into thus building one
database, which is accessed with one GUI?

Yes, but there will be nothing automatic about the process.

I'm guessing that by "import" you mean create MS Access tables which contain the
data tb put on the spreadsheets, write a UI to let the users maintain that data,
and then write Access VBA code to generate various spreadsheets on demand -
using the data from those tables.

Even with no specs at all, I'd opine that you're talking about a substantial
project - nothing that you'll knock out in a few weeks.

I'm doing one right now that tracks the performance of various bond funds, has a
UI that lets users manually update the data, allows users to copy paste data
into the DB from other sources, and creates various spreadsheets and charts to
show various performance criteria for various funds.

It's almost done and I've got a little over 500 hours in it. I'd guess 600 by
the time it's completely wrapped up.
--
PeteCresswell