Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking Excel Spreadsheets in a Notes Database (TeamRoom)

I have two MS Excel spreadsheets and I want to link them so when
spreadsheet A is updated, spreadsheet B is updated automatically. I
can do this outside of the Notes Database (teamroom), but when I place
the files in the teamroom, the links break and I cannot figure out how
to restore them. Any ideas?

Member

Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I have two MS Excel spreadsheets and I want to link them so when
spreadsheet A is updated, spreadsheet B is updated automatically. I
can do this outside of the Notes Database (teamroom), but when I place
the files in the teamroom, the links break and I cannot figure out how
to restore them. Any ideas?
I don't have an answer, I'm afraid, but this reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask.

I have a rather large Excel VBA Project which contains amongst its weaponry a command to compose an e-Mail containing attachments of all visible hyperlinks in the current sheet. We use this for filtering a long list of documents to a given category, then to automatically create an e-Mail which contains the 'found' documents as attachments.

I've put in all the work to do this using an Outlook message object, and has worked beautifully - only to find out that the company is going to move over from Outlook to Lotus Notes ..... aaaaaghhh!!

So I'd be grateful if anyone knows of any online reference guides to objects, topics, methods and properties for Lotus Notes objects, if there are any - assuming Lotus Notes presents a VB-automatable API (which, being Lotus, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't).

One thing I will say is that I worked in a Lotus Notes environment a few years ago and I had no end of trouble with Rich Text Formatting and hyperlinks then. Certainly hyperlinks would get broken at a space, if included.

Actually - I've just thought of a POSSIBLE fix for you - if the links are getting broken at spaces, try replacing all spaces with %20 and see if the links remain intact. Also, try replacing any other 'non alphanumeric' characters with % and the relevant hex ASCII code - that may solve the problem.

Lotus Notes is a nasty piece of work, if you ask me - I remember searching for ages to find its equivalent of Contact records - how was I to know that I should have been search for "Cards" in the Help file?!?!?! Adding a contact being called "Add Card"? Fields appearing in a mock 'card index' graphic frame? Dear oh dear... ;) Some people may like it for the transition from the old days, but it's not very intuitive for the rest of us!!!

MB

Last edited by BizMark : March 23rd 06 at 08:58 AM